reno
25 Mar 2006 21:20:16
Lemming 3D Help
Hi, I'm trying to run Lemmings 3D through DOSBox but it comes up with the following:

"Unable to load file GFX\Mouse.rnc"

Can anyone help me fix this problem?

Thanks.
Sunrise
26 Mar 2006 00:08:40
Re: Lemming 3D Help
Create a shortcut to L3D.exe, doesn't matter where. Right-click this shortcut and click "Properties". Under the Memory tab, set everything to Auto.

Now, run L3D through this shortcut. (ie: WITHOUT DosBox)

You won't get sound effects or soundcard music, but you will still get CD music.
EvilWeevil
14 Apr 2006 00:48:37
I've got the same problem. I tried your suggestion, but I still get "Unable to load file GFX\Mouse.rnc". I think you'll find it's all set to auto to start with anyway.

Someone help!
ccexplore
14 Apr 2006 04:12:49
What operating system does your machine have?  (There's a world of difference between Windows 95/98/ Me and Windows NT/2000/XP, with regards to compatability w/ DOS apps especially games.  You're more likely to need DOSBox if you have the NT/2000/XP.)

It's also possible that, depending on where you download the program, maybe the download you have is bad.  I've had bad downloads before with Oh No More Lemmings and I think Lemmings 2.  In one or both cases, I eventually download a working version from abandonia.com.

Sorry can't be of more help, good luck!
LemSteven
15 Apr 2006 04:51:29
I doubt that the problem would stem from a bad download.  I've got a perfectly legal copy of Lemmings 3D at home, and I still can't get it to work on XP.  Fortunately, I have gotten it to work with full sound under both Windows 3.1 and Windows 95.  I don't have DOSBox, so I can't help you there.
ccexplore
15 Apr 2006 06:46:15
I doubt that the problem would stem from a bad download.  I've got a perfectly legal copy of Lemmings 3D at home, and I still can't get it to work on XP.

Are you having the same "GFX\Mouse.rnc" problem though?

@EvilWeevil: There's a new version of DOSBox out recently (v0.65), you can try that and see if that solves anything.
EvilWeevil
16 Apr 2006 12:46:18
I found the new version of DOSBox, I downloaded the new version of DOSBox, I installed the new version of DOSBox, I tried out the new version of DOSBox, and...

...it didn't work (Lemmings 3D, not DOSBox)

I also tried looking for other download sites, but my searching was unsuccesful. I was thinking though, if someone has a fully working version of Lemmings 3D, perhaps they could zip it all up and send it to me at queentsarmina@hotmail.com (which I really must change since I'm a guy)

That's the only solution I can think of. So if someone could do that, that would be awesome.
ccexplore
18 Apr 2006 00:35:11
Can't help you out with that.  I did, however, check the compatability notes for the game on the DOSBox site:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/comp_list.php?showID=722&letter=L

So it would seem that some version of it should work.

And did you check abandonia.com?  I'm surprised they don't have Lemmings 3D.
ccexplore
18 Apr 2006 00:40:03
Incidentally, you still haven't told us whether you are using Windows 95/98 or instead Windows NT/2k/XP.  (Most people either have Windows 98 or Windows XP, maybe Windows 95 if the machine is really that outdated.)

If you're using Windows 98, there is always the option to set a DOS program to run in "MS-DOS Mode".  Since I no longer have Windows 98 I don't remember the details of how to set it.  But once set, Windows will basically reboot the machine to a pure DOS environment to run the game, and then once the game exits (or you reboot the machine) Windows will resume again.

No dice if you have Windows XP though--it no longer relies on DOS at all so the DOS mode went away.
Mindless
18 Apr 2006 03:35:06
It's really interesting that everyone refers to 3D Lemmings as Lemmings 3D...  :P
ccexplore
18 Apr 2006 03:44:27
Heh.

I was going to say "probably because many of the other Lemmings games are named 'Lemmings X' rather than 'X Lemmings'", but an actual counting shows the two forms are nearly tied:

Xmas (Holiday) Lemmings
Oh No! More Lemmings
Lemmings 2: The Tribes
All New World of Lemmings / Lemmings Chronicles
3D Lemmings
Lemmings Paintball
Lemmings Revolution
EvilWeevil
18 Apr 2006 09:14:32
I'm running Windows 98, but I don't see how starting it from DOS would make a difference from starting it from DOSBox. Or just double-clicking a shortcut. Nevertheless, my options are rather limited at this point, so I'll try that and update this.

And yes, I did check abandonia. No dice :( But more importantly, no 3D Lemmings :P
ccexplore
18 Apr 2006 09:49:47
I'm running Windows 98, but I don't see how starting it from DOS would make a difference from starting it from DOSBox.

Are you kidding? :o ;) DOSBox only emulates DOS and the various PC hardware popular back in the DOS days.  Traditionally, DOS programs have full control of the computer hardware (video, sound, keyboard, RAM etc.) when you run them, but this can't happen in Windows since there are always multiple programs running in Windows, so no single one of them can take over the computer--Windows manages that stuff.  Which is why for DOSBox to work, it basically needs to be an emulator emulating everything from bottom up, starting with the CPU and hardware.  In other words, in some sense your game isn't "actually" running; instead DOSBox is running and doing a simulation of how the CPU and hardware would behave if you were to run the game in real DOS.

Because it's an emulation and no emulators are perfect, not all games will work all the time in DOSBox.  And emulation can be quite CPU intensive so you'd need a much faster machine for the game to run smoothly in DOSBox.  On the other hand, since it emulates all the hardware, you don't need to have the actual hardware (which is often absent in Windows machines since DOS hardware are comparatively outdated technology) on your machine.

Whereas if you can run the DOS program directly in DOS, you won't need all this emulation, since it can just take over your PC and use its hardware (video, sound, keyboard, mouse etc.) directly.  Generally speaking this means you get better compatability and speed by running the game directly in true DOS.  However, if you machine lacks certain hardware the game requires, there's nothing you can do about it in true DOS.  And, with recent versions of Windows "true DOS" no longer exists anyway.

-----------------

Anyway, in case you didn't notice, the link in Mindless's post above is actual a download link for 3D Lemmings.  I just downloaded and tried it out in DOSBox v0.65, and I was able to run the game just fine, although you might want to run setup first before running l3d.

I'm using a 1.8 GHz Windows XP machine though, which appears to be considerably different than your machine, so, um good luck.
ccexplore
18 Apr 2006 09:53:23
It's really interesting that everyone refers to 3D Lemmings as Lemmings 3D...  :P

Actually, now that I downloaded and tried out the game briefly, this confusion is partly Clockwork's fault:  the game executable is named "L3D" rather than "3DL", and in the intro sequence before the main menu, it has a screen with the text "3D" below "Lemmings", and so since English is generally printed with lines going down, naturally one would read that screen as "Lemmings 3D" rather than "3D Lemmings".

There might be other places in the game where they have "Lemmings 3D" but I haven't seen them yet.  In other places they do have "3D Lemmings", and no doubt in the game manual and the box itself it is "3D Lemmings".
EvilWeevil
19 Apr 2006 11:16:48
Heh, I hadn't noticed the link, silly me. I downloaded it and it works perfectly! :D Don't even need DOSBox for it. Thanks a lot for all your help guys.

Now, time to nuk...never mind ;)
LemSteven
19 Apr 2006 23:14:26

Actually, now that I downloaded and tried out the game briefly, this confusion is partly Clockwork's fault:  the game executable is named "L3D" rather than "3DL", and in the intro sequence before the main menu, it has a screen with the text "3D" below "Lemmings", and so since English is generally printed with lines going down, naturally one would read that screen as "Lemmings 3D" rather than "3D Lemmings".

There might be other places in the game where they have "Lemmings 3D" but I haven't seen them yet.  In other places they do have "3D Lemmings", and no doubt in the game manual and the box itself it is "3D Lemmings".

In the level "It's the Name of the Game," the Lemmings have to walk across a bunch of terrain that forms the words, "LEMMINGS 3D."  But generally, I use the two names interchangeably.

I still haven't had any luck getting the game to work on XP, though.  When I try to open it, a DOS window comes up, but then it quickly closes by itself.  I'm not going to worry about it, though -- as I said before, I currently have the game working fine on an older computer.