Sunrise
17 Mar 2006 05:10:07
Cheapo Super-Pack Level List
I thought it'd be a good idea to keep the small and large packs seperate.
So, we'll use this topic for the big packs (like IS Notebook and the Lemmings Plus series).

I'll repost my review of IS Notebook Set #2 level 1:

I.S. Notebook Set 2 - Level 1 - "And They're Off!"
Lemmings: 30
Save: 30
Time: 1:21
RR: 99
Skills: 1 of each
Good: Quite simple, without being blatantly obvious.
Bad: Dunno really.
Shvegait
17 Mar 2006 06:40:53
Re: Cheapo Super-Pack Level List
This is getting a bit out of hand...
Sunrise
17 Mar 2006 07:57:08
Think about it. The time taken to do each small pack is much shorter than the time to do each long pack, so it isn't really fair to put them in the same topic. This should balance it out more.
Ahribar
17 Mar 2006 10:04:55
I have mixed feelings about this, but if it will keep you quiet in the other topic that's probably a good thing  ;)

IS02: Menacing
Level 2: Placement Puzzle

Save 100% of 3
Release rate 30
5 minutes

3 climbers, 2 builders

Good: Teaches a nice (and useful!) trick
Bad: Way too easy for set 2, even right at the beginning. I don't see what's achieved by having three lemmings and not just two, and the appearance would be improved by taking out the barrel on the bottom level.
Insane Steve
18 Mar 2006 19:35:22
2.2 Was ripped from my notebook, pretty much. My notebook said 3 lemmings, so that's what I went with. Although note that the early levels in set X are comparable, difficulty-wise, to, say, level (X-1).18. (Well, 18th level when the 30 level packs are finished, it's closer to the 14th or 15th levels.) I mean, sure, it's easy when you know how (HAR HAR), but to a newer-ish player, the problem of how to turn the right group is a bit tricky.

I've had people say, though, that the current 3.2 is harder than its fourth set counterpart, so I'm thinking of swapping those two.

I don't mind this thread, although I'm not sure what, aside from Ahribar's samples, would go in the other thread anymore.
I just hope it doesn't take 3 months to finish this pack, too...  ;)
Sunrise
18 Mar 2006 21:20:01
Level 3 - The Suicide Pact
Lemmings: 80
Save: 80
Time: 2:44
Release Rate: 90

Good: This is a VERY fun level. Pretty challenging too, and not cheap either. :P </insanestevebashing>
Bad: Nothing really, I guess the sequel makes it look not as good if you consider them as a group.
Ahribar
18 Mar 2006 21:54:23
Level 4: The Suicide Pact Part 2

Save 100% of 80
Release rate 99
2 minutes 43 seconds
1 of each skill

Good: nice to get the feeling that even with the lemmings coming out at RR99 it's all under control. And the hint gives you an extra challenge if you thought it was all too easy.
Bad: overuse of the crystal set? That's all I can think of really....
Insane Steve
19 Mar 2006 21:55:39
Hmmmmmm, 2.5 crashes the game due to the music issue that arises from the revision to the Lemmus styles. I need to change the music number for a few of the levels in my packs and re-release them.
Ahribar
20 Mar 2006 09:12:26
Do you want me to send you the old Lemmus styles? I've tried nearly every level now and I'm sure all of LP3 works with the old ones, so there's really no point replacing them with the new ones at all.
drumnbach
20 Mar 2006 17:31:14
I think it's time we reviewed Special_Gunpowder / Purpletraitor's Level Pack, the mighty "Who Cares?"

It was a legendary pack, yet never sees reviews.
Insane Steve
20 Mar 2006 18:02:15
I think it's time we reviewed Special_Gunpowder / Purpletraitor's Level Pack, the mighty "Who Cares?"

It was a legendary pack, yet never sees reviews.

This pack DEFINITELY needs to be queued. This still has memories as one of the most elegantly difficult and beautiful packs I've played. It was a shame that all the discussion about it got lost in a forum data crash somehow.

As for my pack, I might run through the pack and replace the music numbers of the crashing levels and re-upload the set. I still have the old Lemmus styles on a backup of Cheapo, but someone may need to re-upload the old styles for those who replaced them.
Ahribar
20 Mar 2006 18:21:14
I imagine you mean "Why Bother?"; I don't remember a set called "Who Cares?"......

Yes, that can certainly be next in the queue! It belongs in the other topic, though, and currently we're reviewing one of my sets so we'd have to finish that first. (I have a horrible sense that from here on people are just going to be playing my levels out of duty so they can get on to the good sets.....  :-/ ) Anyway, if you help us review my levels we can get on to Special Gunpowder's levels faster!
Sunrise
21 Mar 2006 04:58:22
The old Lemmusses are still available on Lemming Crazy. http://lemcrazy370.tripod.com/ (A lot of the links there are broken, but all the cheapo packs/styles work)
drumnbach
23 Mar 2006 14:11:19
I imagine you mean "Why Bother?"; I don't remember a set called "Who Cares?"......

You're right, it's "Why Bother?"

I lost track of all the level packs some time ago, I'll have to download yours again and do some reviews.
Ahribar
23 Mar 2006 15:45:04
Sure. Here's the link, if you need it: http://repton.freespaces.com
Ahribar
25 Mar 2006 12:10:46
Well, it's been a week now. Has everyone lost interest? Is anyone going to review Insane Steve's 2.5?
Insane Steve
25 Mar 2006 19:20:20
Hahaha

My Cheapo packs always take forever to go through -- I mean, 2.5 isn't even that hard a level.
geoo89
26 Mar 2006 09:21:08
It's business and laziness for me, as usual. You'll see me reviewing levels only rarely in general.
Anyway:
I.S. 02: Menacing - Level 5: Over the Top
Save 118/120
Release Rate: 20
Time: 6 minutes 16 seconds
Skills: 7 builders, 1 of each other skill

Good: The title says everything and nothing; I like the general design for some reason; it's not just the route of the main idea but has also and interesting start and end.
Bad: One of the actions takes quite long; the thin pillars for the middle platform perhaps.
Ahribar
26 Mar 2006 14:27:22
Now, the one we've all been waiting for!  ;D

Level 6: The Razor's Edge

Save 98% of 60
Release rate 70
3 minutes 13 seconds
1 climber, floater, bomber, blocker, basher; 5 builders

Good: Well, how can I not have a soft spot for the level that inspired my "Twenty Second Teaser"?  :P  Uses a very cool trick, and until you work it out it seems impossible -- but with the possibilities being so restricted, it doesn't get too frustrating.
Bad: Loses all the fun once you've solved it. Also, there's one spare builder for no reason.
Ice_Eagle
26 Mar 2006 14:45:30

The Nifty Fifty

Save all
RR99
50sec
50 of all  but only one builder

G: Nice trick used...
B: This level is extremely annoying! It's too easy to find out the solution, but too hard to implement it!
Sunrise
27 Mar 2006 08:30:45
I find Nifty 50 pretty easy to pull off actually.
Ahribar
27 Mar 2006 12:44:08
Me too, although iirc I had problems with it the first time I tried......  ;)

Level 8: You Know What You Have To Do

Save 100% of 1
Release rate 1
Time -- can't remember

1 floater, 5 builders, 1 miner

Good: I like the way you've built a "recurring theme" into the sets... and it's a nice step up from the first one.
Bad: The time it takes to find out if you've got it right or not gets tiresome.
geoo89
31 Mar 2006 18:48:00
I.S. 02: Menacing - Level 9: Exodus
Save 100/100
Release Rate: 20
Time: 5 minutes
Skills: 8 climbers, 24 floaters, 8 diggers

Good: Very nice design, I especially like the sand hills; they disguise the way to hold the lemmings (which is a good idea).
Bad: Quite easy and a bit obvious.
Ahribar
04 Apr 2006 15:21:52
Level 10: Quaint Spiral

Save 100% of 10
Release rate 5
7 minutes 15 seconds
1 climber, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 50 builders

Good: interestingly different and doesn't take too long to figure out.... after all, how else could you get up there?
Bad: frustrating -- it's so easy to run out of builders!
geoo89
08 Apr 2006 15:04:17
I.S. 02: Menacing - Level 11: The Rainbow Road
Save 27/30
Release Rate: 70
Time: 1 minutes 48 seconds
Skills: 1 climber, 1 floater, 1 bomber, 1 blocker, 1 builder

Good: The rainbow design looks nice; solution is not obvious overall; when done correctly, you don't need luck for executing the solution in order to work; nice skill selection.
Bad: Don't see anything to complain about...
Ahribar
11 Apr 2006 12:34:14
Level 12: Multi-task Lemmings

Save 100% of 50
Release rate 20
6 minutes 52 seconds

50 climbers, 1 floater, 20 builders, 1 basher, miner, digger

Good: fun to have a level that's a bit different..... I like making all the lemmings climbers  :)
Bad: no puzzle, and the title doesn't fit -- there's no multi-tasking involved!

(Also, were we supposed to need the miner somewhere?)
Insane Steve
11 Apr 2006 17:07:10
I think the miner is used to breach a bridge when you're completing the staircases to the exit, but it may be unecessary.

That's probably my best example (or one of) of one of my "I didn't think my cunning plan through all the way" levels. I forgot about the RR.
geoo89
14 Apr 2006 18:20:46
I.S. 02: Menacing - Level 13: The Lobby
Save 88/90
Time: 6:16
Release Rate: 99

Good: A nice one-of-each-skill level not being obvious (at least it took me some time to find the solution when I first played it, this time I remembered most of it); the difficulty matches the position it is in.
Bad: Timing the bomber can get annoying, especially if you forgot where you timed it in relation to the point of the explosition the tries before; I don't like the design, but that's my taste.
Ahribar
19 Apr 2006 17:28:11
Level 14: The Narrows

Save 98% of 100
Release rate 10
6 minutes 17 seconds

2 of each, 15 builders, 0 miners

Good: clever little level that at first looks impossible, isn't too hard once you get started, but still needs the player to think ahead and do things in the right order.

Bad: aaaaaaargh, the music! And the Cheapo replay bugs, though of course that isn't Insane Steve's fault.
Ice_Eagle
19 Apr 2006 21:56:37
I would like to nominate my pack for review.
Ahribar
19 Apr 2006 22:06:35
I would like to nominate my pack for review.

Wrong topic; you want "Cheapo Level List Game". This topic is for "super-packs", i.e. series containing multiple difficulty levels, which at the moment means Insane Steve's levels and Sunrise's Lemmings Plus 3.
Isu
14 May 2006 21:28:53
Would My 'Style Trial' fit in this category also? It's not a series containing multiple difficulty sets, but it's split into parts, (31+27+23) 81 levels overall.

Just curious, Y'know, incase anyone wanted to review it. [smiley=smiley.gif]
Nuntar
15 May 2006 21:41:36
Sure; if you help us review IS2 then we can put the first part of your pack next after LP3-1.
Isu
16 May 2006 23:12:18
Nuntar?
Is that you, Ahribar?  [smiley=mikeconfused.gif]

And I wont do Mental Process because (If I remember rightly) I did the Lemedit version, so there.
Nuntar
17 May 2006 12:08:50
Yes, it's me. And if you need it to help get this moving again, I'll do Mental Process as well. Just give me a bit more time.

EDIT: ok, here ya go.

IS02 Level 15: Mental Process
Save 95% of 200
Release rate 60
6 minutes 44 seconds

30 builders, 0 blockers, 5 of each other skill

Good: looks impossible when you first see it, and requires a nice trick to avoid the trap. The title is appropriate, because the solution can be worked out logically once you see that trick.
Bad: solution involves a long stretch of building..... other than that, nothing really