Jazzem
16 Feb 2006 19:31:32
You'll never guess what we missed...
The 15th birthday of our beloved game!  [smiley=bday.gif]  Lemmings!

Just 15 years ago on February the 14th, Lemmings was first released on the commodore Amiga. Coming out of the already respected DMA Design, Lemmings was (And remains) a masterpiece. Bursting to the rim with originality, Lemmings was a game unlike any other, and one that would addict, enthrall and amuse the millions that experienced it. Thanks to the welcoming nature of the earlier levels, players were able to learn how to utilise each skill, and how to manuever the green haired rodents carefully around each maze. Before long however, difficulity would pick up, and the game would challenge the player to rack their brains for any method possible.
  It's the simplistic yet depth-full gameplay present that pleases, it's impssible not to fall to addiction. It's an amazingly absorbing experience, and coupled with a cutesy yet lovable music score and top notch presentation you simply had to love what the pixels on your TV/monitor were letting you see. Critics fell over themselves in praise, regarding lemmings as a stone cold classic that would be remembered for years to come. Thankfully it obtained the success it so rightly deserved, Lemmings went on to sell over five million copies. Spawning many a port for many a console, there was no excuse to not own Lemmings. Those that didn't missed out on not only one of gaming's finest chapters, but one of the most rewarding entertainment experiences known.

So were you an early adopter for the puzzler? Or did you discover it long after the days of 4MB ram? I cannot remember my first experience, but being one of the first games I played I imagine it was when I was 4/5, and what a game! It would sap many hours off me and the Archimedes, and to this day that has failed to change (Sans the Archimedes :()
Chmera
16 Feb 2006 19:48:14
Re: You'll never guess what we missed...
*bangs head on keyboard*

I can't believe I forgot. Anyway, though two days late, Happy Birthday to the Lemmings!

Anyway, I have a cunning plan.

How about a IRC-based party to celebrate? The time can be decided here(preferably in GMT format), and on the day, if you wish, you can come in-character as a your main lemming roleplay character if you happen to have one... Or you can make one up especially. It's all up to you.

One catch: Everybody must bring party foods or drinks in one form or another.  [smiley=laugh.gif]

What do you think?
Timballisto
16 Feb 2006 20:58:54
Lol.  Yeah, sure.  If only I could eat the food over the internet...I'm really hungry right now.  Yeah.

So, at any rate...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEMMINGS!!!!!!!!!!

[smiley=bday.gif]
[smiley=bday.gif]
JM
16 Feb 2006 21:23:39
[smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] [smiley=bday.gif] HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEMMINGS!
Ahribar
16 Feb 2006 21:43:19
So were you an early adopter for the puzzler? Or did you discover it long after the days of 4MB ram? I cannot remember my first experience, but being one of the first games I played I imagine it was when I was 4/5, and what a game! It would sap many hours off me and the Archimedes, and to this day that has failed to change (Sans the Archimedes :()

I first fell in love with Lemmings less than a year after it came out, if I've worked this out right. It was the Mac version, and we played it on an old SE30 -- black and white, with a tiny screen. You had to click on the minimap, I think, to change it to display "OUT 40 IN 50%" and the time, because there wasn't room on the screen, and we got as far as "Pea Soup" before we changed to colour. (The peas are invisible on the black-and-white version. No kidding.) Which just goes to show that you don't need millions of colours to make a great game.
Mr. Ksoft
18 Feb 2006 23:40:27
Yay!

I can remember playing the full game first 1995 when my grandparents bought a computer. A 486DX2 66mhz with 8megs of ram.  My cousin brought over his Lemmings disk, installed the game, and gave me the game.  I played it over and over and over on the fun and tricky ratings (and at age 3-- zomg!) but never got further.  I later downloaded a password list and went exploring to see all the harder levels, which I called the "Weird Ones".  The computer still works today, and I play Lemmings on it sometimes.
Anatol
19 Feb 2006 03:12:43
I played Oh No! More Lemmings a couple of years before I ever played the original. It's for this reason that I'll always have a slight preference for ONML.

Oh the nostalgia! ;D
LemSteven
19 Feb 2006 04:16:29
Fifteen years!  Wow!  It's pretty hard to believe I've been playing Lemmings for such a long time!  I got Lemmings and ONML as a gift around 1992 or so, but I couldn't play it because it didn't work on my family's old computer.  Lemmings therefore just sat in the box while I played classic arcade games like "Pac-Man" and "Digger" on the old computer.

Finally, about a year later, my dad decided to buy a new computer, and we could play Lemmings on it.  I was only 8 years old at the time, so I only did the simple levels, while I watched my dad try and tackle the harder ones.  He got stuck on Taxing 11, while I gradually got better and better practicing the Fun levels by myself.  Eventually, I ended up beating Taxing 11 for him, allowing us to continue on with the game.  Once we beat Lemmings, we went on to ONML, as well as many of the other Lemmings games.

I still have Lemmings installed on the same computer that my dad bought almost 13 years ago.  It's hard to believe that it's been so long.
Lomay
19 Feb 2006 17:47:09
:)  [smiley=bday.gif]  :)
DragonsLover
20 Feb 2006 01:51:57
[smiley=bday.gif] Yeah, HAPPY BIRTHDAY LEMMINGS! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
Sunrise
10 Mar 2006 20:36:46
Bit late, but anyway. My uncle gave me the game when I was about 3. I was unable to play it due to lack of a mouse though. A few months later my step-dad(he wasn't at the time, but he is now) gave me a Sega Master System and Lemmings for it, at first I found it quite hard and got my mum to beat most of the levels for me, but the time we were up to Tricky 14, I was completing levels myself. I guess it was about half a year before I finally beat the last level. About half way through, I also finally got a PC with a mouse, and was able to play on that too. I simply sped through both versions from there - fully completing the Sega version, and getting up to Save Me on the PC version. I eventually found a code to skip to the final level on the PC version, being unable to beat Save Me, and beat it easily. For years though, Save Me remained undefeated. I finally beat it about 2 years ago.

I also discovered LemEdit when I was around 7. I had heaps of fun playing around in it, and even more when I discovered the first Copycat Lemmings game. And then when I asked Peter Spada if making custom styles for it was possible, he referred me to Cheapo, which just set everything off.

After a while, the game just fell away and Commander Keen took it's place as my game of choice for level editing, but in 2003 Lemmings came back, and that's when I started actually releasing levels (starting with Lemmings Plus). Towards the end of that year, I lost interest in the game, and stopped playing. Then early this year, I rediscovered the game, and started work on a new pack - "Sunrise Challenge". However, I had so many level ideas, that I instead created Lemmings Plus 3 instead. (By the way: "Sunrise", "To The End!", "Into Eternity" and a few others were from Sunrise Challenge)