DragonsLover
11 Dec 2005 21:48:14
I'm looking for a good hacker to correct a game
Yes, I'm looking for a hacker to correct an old game called: Captive. The PC version is a conversion from the Amiga version of the game, and I think the conversion didn't go well because the PC version is a little bit buggy and I hoped that someone here would help me to correct the problems. I aim particularly ccexplore and tseug because they've made a lot of changes on Lemmings and that you could, maybe, help me.

I must say that Tag (Anthony Taglioni) didn't do a really completed good conversion of the game! >:(
tseug(Guest)
12 Dec 2005 03:54:35
Re: I'm looking for a good hacker to correct a gam
link? (to both versions)
ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest)
12 Dec 2005 08:55:16
Sorry but this doesn't really interest me right now.  However, if you expect someone to help, the least you can do is to tell us more about the differences and what's buggy on the PC version.

The amount of changes made to LemEdit and CustLemm are rather miniscule to be honest.  It's just that the tiny changes happen to be very useful to lots of people. ;)
DragonsLover
12 Dec 2005 15:42:25
There's the Amiga version of the game (available on Planetemu.net. The website is in franch, but it doesn't matter). Take the first "Captive" link.

The PC version is available here in 2 zip files.

So, here are the bugs I encounter during the game:

1. The "Optic VII: Vision Corrector" doesn't work well under PC. Red lines are shown and react like the "Optic Super: Visor" and is not supposed to. Vision Corrector must only shows false walls and that's all! Because for now, it can avoid our vision to be blurred by static (like bumping into fire) and it can shows dark room correctly. These are the role of the "Visor" only.

2. Little windows on walls don't work well: When throwing or shooting through them (by our robots or by enemies), the objects/shots don't pass through and knock on something. I realised that sometimes, it teleports the objects to the edge of a level. Also, it can works in a sens but not in the other. It must react "normally" like an empty space.

3. It happens rarely when shooting on a wall after killing a monster (really hard to explain which time it is perfectly): the game hangs completely and we need to shut down the game. It happens in some bases, not all.

4. The music isn't played very well, the volume of the MIDI instruments are sometimes changed and we don't hear them. I must wait later for the volume to be ok. Also, when a specific music is played at the end of a level (don't remember which file it is), the next music is looped when moving on the next base. Kinda annoying: I must shut down the music for the base and wait for the other one (because on the next one, it is correct again). Something strange too: I tried to modify the MIDI tracks and it seems that the game keeps the perfect position of the notes of the original MIDI tracks. So, when I tried to change them: nothing played in the game.

5. Icons of the legs when taking them on our robots are bad.

6. The "Electric bolts" animation of the hand isn't correct. It looks like the animation is frozen when not moving the hand and played at the speed of the movement of the hand. Also, it is possible to do infinite shots which of course it isn't supposed to be!

7. Enemies may disappear when they shoot. This is kinda weird! It happens rarely!

8. When going up or down a ladder or a hole and that a monster is trapped on the other floor ("trapped" means that there's no way to go, each space around are blocked by walls, doors or monsters) the monster must die. This doesn't happen all the times and sometimes, my robots are "in" the monster without killing them.

9. I'm not sure if it's a bug or it's normal, but the "Deflector" works strangely when a spray is shooted to our robots (a spray is a shot that pass through our robots and hurts all of them): the spray rebounds (because this is the role of the "Deflector": it rebounds the shots to the attacker), it rebounds through the square when our robots are. This is kinda annoying! It rebounds, then rebounds, rebounds... all the time through the robots.

For now, I think that's all! If someone here is able to correct all this, I want to say a GREAT thank you to him! :)
12 Dec 2005 19:38:41
Hate to burst your bubble, but the changes you listed will require far more effort and time compared with the relative simple changes I ever made to CustLemm and LemEdit.  I'm afraid your best option for a long time is to just forget about the PC version and use an Amiga emulator instead.

Also, don't you think you'd be more likely to find more suitable people for this on a Captive forum? ;)
DragonsLover
12 Dec 2005 21:11:02
There are no Captive forums that exist. If you find one, than thank you to tell me!

I know only one forum on a huge French website, but that's all! (Jeuxvideo.com)

Well... there are also forums on Amiga gaming and abandonwares, I already post my request and I got no answer. So, it is why I wanted to ask my question to someone that knows how to hack. And for now, this is the only forum where there was hacking here.

Yeah... I thought to play under Amiga, but my saved games are on PC... So, if I can convert my PC saved games and use them under WinUAE, then it would be great! I must look at this too!

I know that you're a lot busy. I don't want to force you to help me! Thanks anyway!
12 Dec 2005 22:04:51
Yeah... I thought to play under Amiga, but my saved games are on PC... So, if I can convert my PC saved games and use them under WinUAE, then it would be great! I must look at this too!

I'd say that's a more reasonable undertaking compared with tinkering with the PC version of the game itself.  Not to say figuring out the saved game format(s?) is easy either, but it's certainly more doable.

I know that you're a lot busy. I don't want to force you to help me! Thanks anyway!

I know, I just need you to understand that the kind of changes you were asking is a major undertaking.  The difference between making your changes and those changes that were made to CustLemm/LemEdit, is like the difference between remodeling the kitchen vs. merely repainting it.
DragonsLover
12 Dec 2005 22:33:32
;D Yeah, ok! It's kinda a lot of stuff! [smiley=agree.gif]