Jazzem
22 Nov 2005 18:25:03
Game boy Lemmings
For the completist value (And to see what it plays like on the grey brick of fun) I got this from ebay today. It certainly is a bizarre conversion, the builder's bridge is at a much steeper angle this time, and some of the levels have been tweaked, some for the better (Don't do anything too hasty is much more of a challenge), and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!). It's fun though, and feels slightly different to the versions we're all used to. Just a shame that the lemmings aren't always so responsive to your commands :(

Anyone else got it?
ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest)
22 Nov 2005 22:00:46
Re: Game boy Lemmings
I've heard that the NES and GameBoy versions have a very different feel than the other versions.  I even seem to remember it was mentioned how you are only allowed to use certain skills in certain areas of the level.  Maybe someday I'll try to donwload one of those versions and play on an emulator, though frankly I'm not super-excited about them.

Games like lemmings can conceivably be very tricky to handle for certain consoles.  Unlike many games that are based on sprites, to properly support lemmings the way it works on the PC, Amiga, etc., you actually would need to keep track of individual pixels.  That can conceivably be too much to handle for the older game consoles which tend to be sprite-based.  Of course, I don't know much about game consoles programming so I can be totally wrong about this.
Jazzem
23 Nov 2005 20:28:39
Yeah, it is a very resource demanding game, it's amazing they got it to the 8bit consoles as they did, even if a lot was lost in the process (Only 14 lemmings!?).
Alexraptor
28 Nov 2005 15:10:14
I also quired lemmings for GameBoy a few weeks ago, also ebay.
I agree the feel of the game is diffrent, and alot harder, i swear that im stuck on the 1st level on tricky  :P

Thank goodness for lemmings on Mac.
Jazzem
28 Nov 2005 16:07:16
Welcome to the forums :)

Yeah, Tricky 1 was a pain. Make sure you take into account how to keep the non-building lemmings together.
Mr. Ksoft
29 Nov 2005 02:09:47
I actually bought the Game Boy Color version of Lemmings & ONML back when it was still in stores.  I say, save your money.  They really, really butchered ONML. (90% of the levels are the brick texture ones, and they're all out of order)  The music was replaced by some utter junk that I could have done better (and I've only composed one song in my life) and the graphics are overall ugly.  But I tried to enjoy it when I was away from the computer, and it kind of worked.  Not really.  Got to fun and never played it again.
29 Nov 2005 02:32:48
The music was replaced by some utter junk that I could have done better (and I've only composed one song in my life) and the graphics are overall ugly.

Well, we are talking about the GameBoy here though, not even GameBoy Advanced.

Would you say the music and graphics are bad even in comparison with other GameBoy games?
Jazzem
29 Nov 2005 19:50:15
Have they just replaced the ONML music? They can hardly make it much worse, the soundtrack was dreadful to begin with. Why they didn't just use the first one again I don't know.
03 Dec 2005 12:16:27
and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!)

Actually, what they've done to we all fall down makes perfect sense.  Since the system apparently can't handle more than 14 lemmings on those versions, the original versions of we all fall down, with increase number of lemmings, just won't work.  So instead they change the skills distribution rather than the number of lemmings.  (At least that's what it looks like to me, I've only gotten to Tricky 2 as this point.)
Jazzem
03 Dec 2005 12:44:36
and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!)

Actually, what they've done to we all fall down makes perfect sense.  Since the system apparently can't handle more than 14 lemmings on those versions, the original versions of we all fall down, with increase number of lemmings, just won't work.  So instead they change the skills distribution rather than the number of lemmings.  (At least that's what it looks like to me, I've only gotten to Tricky 2 as this point.)

I can understand that, but it's now incredibly easy (It can be an extension of "Only floaters will survive this" or the initial part fo "Now use miners and climbers") now. Perhaps they shuld have used a much smaller platform, and the number of lemmings would start off small (4 or so), but by the end it would be the full 14?
Mr. Ksoft
04 Dec 2005 20:57:55
In response to earlier posts.

I thought the music was pretty bad. They took out all of the original songs, replacing them with boring tunes that don't seem Lemmingy... I might post a recording later. The graphics (on the GBC version) barely use as many colors as the system can probably support.  Look at http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/games/coverg/16/667316.jpg to see what a hunk of junk the game is.
05 Dec 2005 22:20:53
Wow, there's a Gameboy version of ONML too?  Surprising.

Let me see if I can find a NES version of ONML on the net......
Jazzem
05 Dec 2005 23:20:42
No no no! There isn't one, it was only released indepedently on home computers. It was however released in later compilations (The Playstation version of Lemmings, Winlemm and the GBC one mentioned by KSoft)
06 Dec 2005 01:58:08
Now that I've played NES lemmings for a few days, I'm starting to really like it.  I think everyone should give it a try.  It does take a little time to get used to the fact that your skills only take place on grid boundaries (hence the "unresponsiveness" as compared with skill assignments happening right on the next frame at any pixel position), and that some behaviors are just different on the NES version.  But once you gain a feel for the game mechanics, I find it almost as fun as the normal versions.  An addition bonus is that because of the difference in game mechanics, skill distribution, and often the terrain details, even the levels that do exist in normal versions will often play out a little (or a lot) differently in the NES version.  For example, even on Fun 1, you'll probably not achieve 100% on a single try. ;)  And yes, there are also levels unique to the NES version.

The one thing bad about the NES version is that it repeats levels a lot more than the normal versions.  And sometimes the repeats are pretty lame.  Oh, and the titles!  Clearly they made it one of their goals to ruin as many good level titles from the normal versions as possible. ::) (eg. "Is your Lemmingaid working"--wtf?)
minglw
07 Dec 2005 19:27:17
Other than on the Amiga, PC and the coming PSP, Lemmings is vailable on few other platforms.
(I don't have the ones for the Mac or Playstation.)

I have these:
=========

arcade\lemmings.zip

game_gear\Lemmings (JUE).gg

GBX\Lemmings (U) [!].gb
GBX\Lemmings 2, The Tribes (U) [!].gb
GBX\Lemmings vs.gbc
GBX\Lemmings_and_oh_no_more_lemmings.gbc

Genesis\Lemmings (E).bin
Genesis\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (E).bin
Genesis\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (U).bin

lynx\Lemmings (1993).lnx

NES\Lemmings (U).nes

SMS\Lemmings (UE) [!].sms

SNES\Lemmings (E).sfc
SNES\Lemmings (U) (v1.0).sfc
SNES\Lemmings (U) (v1.1).sfc
SNES\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (E).sfc
SNES\Lemmings 2 - The Tribes (U).sfc

Some of the files you can download from:  http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/files.php

For the rest, if you want it but can't find it, feel free to let me know and I can send it to you or put it on a web site for download.

The arcade version is not bad.   I don't think that's ever officially released.   It's playable with MAME.

If you know of any other platforms that's not listed, please let me know.
Jazzem
07 Dec 2005 19:46:58
Yeah, the arcade version was cancelled about 70% in. It makes sense, Lemmings really doesn't suit an arcade game, given it's slow, strategic nature (I'll retract the former adjective with Cascade in mind :P).

Still would've been great to see it in the arcades though :(
geoo89
07 Dec 2005 20:37:26
Other than on the Amiga, PC and the coming PSP, Lemmings is vailable on few other platforms.
(I don't have the ones for the Mac or Playstation.)[...]

According to Wikipedia, Lemmings has been ported to over 30 platforms:
3DO, Acorn Archimedes, Amstrad CPC, Apple IIgs, Arcade (prototype only), Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga CD32, Commodore CDTV, DHTML, DOS, Hewlett-Packard HP-48 series, Macintosh, Mobile phone, Nintendo Famicom (NES), Nintendo Game Boy, TI-83 plus, Nintendo Game Boy Color, Nintendo Super Famicom (SNES), OS/2, Palm, Philips CD-I, SAM Coupé, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive (Genesis), UIQ, Sinclair Spectrum, Sony PlayStation, Sony PlayStation Portable and Windows.
Some of these platforms I don't even know.

I don't have any you did not list though.

@Jazzem: It seems that you have to get quite a lot of versions of lemmings to complete your collection. ;)
minglw
07 Dec 2005 21:25:40
(I don't have the ones for the Mac or Playstation.)[...]

According to Wikipedia, Lemmings has been ported to over 30 platforms:
3DO, Acorn Archimedes, Amstrad CPC, Apple IIgs, Arcade (prototype only), Atari Lynx, Atari ST, Commodore 64, Commodore Amiga CD32, Commodore CDTV, DHTML, DOS, Hewlett-Packard HP-48 series, Macintosh, Mobile phone, Nintendo Famicom (NES), Nintendo Game Boy, TI-83 plus, Nintendo Game Boy Color, Nintendo Super Famicom (SNES), OS/2, Palm, Philips CD-I, SAM Coupé, Sega Game Gear, Sega Master System, Sega Megadrive (Genesis), UIQ, Sinclair Spectrum, Sony PlayStation, Sony PlayStation Portable and Windows.
Some of these platforms I don't even know.

I don't have any you did not list though.

@Jazzem: It seems that you have to get quite a lot of versions of lemmings to complete your collection. ;)

Thanks for the info!

Looking thru my collections....  it seems like I am missing just these: Mobile Phone, Commodore CDTV, UIQ (whatever that is) and Playstation.   For the rest, I think I have them somewhere on DVDR.
I mainly play the one for the PC anyway.   I think I have every Lemmings game released for the PC (at least those that I can buy from the US).
The only PC version that I don't have  the original is LEMMINGS 3D -- is this one released on a CD ?
Jazzem
07 Dec 2005 21:43:56
You can say that again!

I imagine I'll end up with the ones on the consoles I own (NES, SNES, Game Gear and the PC verison not by abandonware are ones I may get). I always want an Acorn Archemedes (The console/computer I first played it on) again, so that may be a possibilty.

I'll reist a CD-i though :P
07 Dec 2005 22:18:31
The HP-48 and TI-83 are graphing calculators I think.  As such, they are definitely not official ports.  More like Cheapo basically.  I do have to wonder though what it looks and plays like on calculators......
07 Dec 2005 22:21:59
Yeah, the arcade version was cancelled about 70% in. It makes sense, Lemmings really doesn't suit an arcade game, given it's slow, strategic nature

On the other hand, a 2-player version would seem to suit an arcade game pretty well......
Jazzem
07 Dec 2005 22:40:03
Yeah, the arcade version was cancelled about 70% in. It makes sense, Lemmings really doesn't suit an arcade game, given it's slow, strategic nature

On the other hand, a 2-player version would seem to suit an arcade game pretty well......

That's true, it could get pretty competitive. I've got to force my brother to play 2 player Lemmigns with me, the last time I did it must have been when I was six. It also used a tracker ball apparantly, I'd love to play Lemmings with one of those gizmos.

The HP-48 and TI-83 are graphing calculators I think.  As such, they are definitely not official ports.  More like Cheapo basically.  I do have to wonder though what it looks and plays like on calculators......

8 represents a lemming, 5 represents a trap and 2 the exit :P

I think I saw some screenshots of it actually, and it definately wasn't offical. That list seems to go beyond the offical ones, it's got DHTML on there...

minglw
07 Dec 2005 23:12:26
Is the original "Lemmings 3D" released on CD or floopies ?

Anyone know if there's any difference between the original version and the version that's
floating on the web ?   (any missing CD music tracks ?)

The version I downloaded is roughly 8 MB rar-compressed (43 MB uncompressed).

08 Dec 2005 02:18:11
Ahem, going back on topic......
For the completist value (And to see what it plays like on the grey brick of fun) I got this from ebay today. It certainly is a bizarre conversion, the builder's bridge is at a much steeper angle this time, and some of the levels have been tweaked, some for the better (Don't do anything too hasty is much more of a challenge), and some for the worst (What have they done to We all fall down!?!). It's fun though, and feels slightly different to the versions we're all used to. Just a shame that the lemmings aren't always so responsive to your commands :(

Anyone else got it?

I finally downloaded it and tried it out briefly on an emulator.

As it turns out, it is not exactly a clone of NES Lemmings.  It's true that the NES levels are probably all reused, but there are obvious game-mechanical differences you can see from the very start.  I'm actually quite surprised.  In some ways the GameBoy version almost seem more "advanced" than the NES version.  Digging and basher for example do not remove entire cells, but actually behaves more like regular lemming versions (although I haven't check whether you can stop the action immediately, or instead it has to wait til the next cell like NES).  I would say the GameBoy version is somewhat between the NES and regular versions in terms of its game mechanics, from the little I've seen so far.

The skill distribution are also different, at least when I checked Tricky 1 and Taxing 1.

So I guess it would be important for me to do a challenge run for the GameBoy version, separately from the NES version.  I must say though, the game runs much slower on the GameBoy, it'd definitely be a bit of a pain to go thru the levels.
08 Dec 2005 11:50:50
Hey Jazzem, since you have the real GameBoy catridge, can you tell me whether the following I observe happens on the real, non-emulated, GameBoy lemmings?

1) The game seems to have trouble drawing the 13th and 14th lemming, making them almost semi-invisible at times.  Does this happen on GameBoy or is it just my emulator?

2) Builders can turn themselves around and continue to build when they hit a wall while building?

3) I can't seem to get more than 3 builders building at the same time.  The game won't let me assign builders, and it looks like any other non-permanent, animated skills (bashers for example) afterwards?

Thanks.  I'm especially interested with #1.
08 Dec 2005 11:56:10
Let me clarify #1 and #3 above.  For #1, I definitely see it happening on Fun 8, but I don't remember for sure about other levels, so what I see might only happen when RR is 99.  For #3, I don't mean you can't assign skills permanently, just that when you have 3 builders going already, it looks like you can't make more skills happen until one of the builders finish first.
08 Dec 2005 13:17:58
I tried a second emulator and I'm still observing all the stuff I said above, so I'm think this happens on the real GameBoy also.

I also found a glitch in GameBoy Fun 16.  There are glitches, and then there are glitches.  Go to the right entrance and see that pillar right of the entrance, depicted here in ASCII:

BB
 BB
 BB
 BB
 BB
BBBB
ABBBBB

Using a builder or climber, get up on top of the pillar's base at the position marked A, and have a left-facing lemming dig down that terrain cell A and then mine.  When the lemming starts mining, the area of screen around A will start to glitch up and then the miner will kinda just freeze up.  At some point, the game will decrease the number of lemmings out by 1, even though the frozen image of the miner will stick around in that area of the level.

Definitely the wackiest glitch I've seen in any lemmings game I've played thus far.  I'm almost surprised the game didn't just crash right there and then.  I don't know for sure right now whether this glitch is specific to Fun 16 or whether there are more general conditions for triggering it.

Naturally, if someone can try it out on a real GameBoy that'd be cool, just to see whether the same thing happens (most probably).
Jazzem
08 Dec 2005 21:55:12
Hey Jazzem, since you have the real GameBoy catridge, can you tell me whether the following I observe happens on the real, non-emulated, GameBoy lemmings?

1) The game seems to have trouble drawing the 13th and 14th lemming, making them almost semi-invisible at times.  Does this happen on GameBoy or is it just my emulator?

2) Builders can turn themselves around and continue to build when they hit a wall while building?

3) I can't seem to get more than 3 builders building at the same time.  The game won't let me assign builders, and it looks like any other non-permanent, animated skills (bashers for example) afterwards?

Thanks.  I'm especially interested with #1.

1) Yeah, when played on a GBC/GBA (SP) they actually come out as a completely different colour to the rest. There's quite a few graphical glitches, you occasionally get invisible boxes appearing on a lemming, and if you mine a lot you may get a bit of terrain out of nowhere :-?

2)Yep. It's suprsing how much they changed the builder's behaviour.

3)Yeah, the game is a bit fussy about that. I tried to get more then three digging on Just Dig and had no luck. I guess it's to prevent slowdown or crashes.

I'll check out that glitch aswell. Just out of curiosity, does the NES version play track 13 of this--->http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/music/lemjuke.html<--- when it's paused too?
08 Dec 2005 22:29:40
Just out of curiosity, does the NES version play track 13 of this--->http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/music/lemjuke.html<--- when it's paused too?

No, on the NES if I recall correctly, it continues with the current level's music (like the normal version).  I kinda like the change of music in the GameBoy version though--well, at first.  Hearing that same music over and over again does get a bit annoying after a while.

One would think that since we're talking about the battery-operated GameBoy, the more power-friendly thing to do when paused is to turn off the music altogether, so I'm not really sure what they were thinking with the music switch. ::)
Jazzem
08 Dec 2005 22:32:13
Well you can always turn the sound off anyway!

So would I be right to presume that track 13 is now normal music for a level on the NES version?
08 Dec 2005 23:46:30
So would I be right to presume that track 13 is now normal music for a level on the NES version?

Well, if that music is actually used in the NES version, then yes.  I don't remember which music were present on the NES version.  The Gameboy in contrast seems to have more music.
Jazzem
09 Dec 2005 23:58:35
I had a play of NES Lemmings via emu, seemed decent, the lemmings walk awfully quick though.

And, err... There's only five songs on it?
10 Dec 2005 00:26:07
Yeah, the music selection in NES lemmings is downright pitiful.

I noticed though that for each higher rating, I think (haven't verified, just my impression) they introduce one more music into the loop (so by the time you get to Mayhem I think there'll be 8 possible music in rotation).  Whoopee. ::)
tseug
10 Dec 2005 00:29:56
Better than onml, it had 6. :P
Jazzem
10 Dec 2005 00:44:41
And not one of them was any good!
10 Dec 2005 00:46:02
@Jazzem: by the way, I already brought this up on the challenge thread, but anyway:  I'm currently unable to see how it is possible to save 100% on GameBoy Tricky 1 as you claimed in this post.  I feel I need either one more builder or 1 more basher to save 100%.  Are you sure you didn't confuse it with some other level?
Jazzem
10 Dec 2005 00:53:50
@Jazzem: by the way, I already brought this up on the challenge thread, but anyway:  I'm currently unable to see how it is possible to save 100% on GameBoy Tricky 1 as you claimed in this post.  I feel I need either one more builder or 1 more basher to save 100%.  Are you sure you didn't confuse it with some other level?

Ack, I apologize, I just replayed the level... You're right, it can't be possible. You have to *Warning for those planning to play Game boy Lemmings!* bomb the digger by the looks of things, so then a lemming can, when timed correctly, build half the bridge to the left, and the other to the right.

Sorry for the confusion.
10 Dec 2005 01:08:37
No worries, just want to make sure I didn't either miss something very obvious, or some crazy glitch. ;)
10 Dec 2005 05:49:17
Yeah, the music selection in NES lemmings is downright pitiful.

I noticed though that for each higher rating, I think (haven't verified, just my impression) they introduce one more music into the loop (so by the time you get to Mayhem I think there'll be 8 possible music in rotation).  Whoopee. ::)

My math is bad and it should be "7" not "8".  But anyway, I checked it out for real and turns out it's not even that good.

It turns out for each rating, you actually only have 4(!) different music in rotation.  No wonder it sounds like they keep repeating the same music over and over!

But what happens is that as you cross over from one rating to another, they change from looping A-B-C-D to looping B-C-D-E.  In other words, they take out A and replace it with E.  This is why I keep noticing new music whenever I get to a new rating, but the total amount of music being looped isn't noticeably more.

Specifically, in Fun, they have:

CanCan - Tim2 - Tim3 - Tim6  (or in the jukebox, it is 1-3-6-9)

then in Tricky it becomes:

Tim2 - Tim3 - Tim6 - Tim7  (jukebox 3-6-9-11)

Taxing:

Tim3 - Tim6 - Tim7 - Tim9  (jukebox 6-9-11-12)

Mayhem

Tim6 - Tim7 - Tim9 - Tim10  (jukebox 9-11-12-14)

Can't imagine why they don't just loop all 7 music all the time instead.

Oh yeah, and when you beat the game (and only then), the music during the credits is Tim5 (jukebox #7), so I guess there is 8 music after all.
Ahribar
10 Dec 2005 07:04:18

DIE, FOUL TRAITOR!   :o
Jazzem
10 Dec 2005 11:46:18
How strange cce... You have to wonder why developers do such strange things sometimes, like you said it makes more sense to loop all seven.

DIE, FOUL TRAITOR!   :o

Sorry, but when I downloaded ONML for DOS, the music was nigh on unbearable. Granted, for some strange reason the original DOS Lemmings music seemed to be very monotone on my old computer (It was lacking a lot of it's backing, as strange as it sounds), so I imagine it would sound a little better on my current computer. But even so, the actual tunes were completely forgettable, horribly irritating and very amaterish. And to think-This is a semi-sequel to a game with such a fantastic soundtrack!
10 Dec 2005 12:24:55
I think the objection to ONML music is mostly for the DOS version.  On systems with better sound capability (eg. the Mac and the Amiga) I think you'd have a far different (and more favorable) perception of the music.

This is a great time for me to remind people about MCIChMus, the extension to Cheapo that allows Amiga MOD music (in additional to MIDIs also) to be used in Cheapo game and level editor.  You can find more information on this thread, but here are the URLs:

http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/MCIChMus/MCIChMus_v1.0.zip
http://www.geocities.com/guestlevels/MCIChMus/AmigaCrystal.zip

AmigaCrystal is the Cheapo Blue style with Amiga Lemmings and ONML music.  The ONML music are tracks 22-27 in the style.  Remember to use wledit2x, the modified version of the editor included in MCIChMus, to listen.  While I can still understand why people might still like the Lemmings music more, at least tell me what you think compared with the DOS ONML version.
10 Dec 2005 12:29:49
Oh and if for some reason you can't (or don't want to ::)) run Cheapo on your machine, download the MODs from Mindless's portal (don't remember the URL, but try searching the forums for keyword "MOD" and author "Mindless" to find the thread that has the URL).  Then donwload DeliPlayer, a music player that can playback MOD music.
Jazzem
10 Dec 2005 13:54:40
Thanks cce. I had a listen, and they're not so bad. They're nowhere near as good as the Lemmings 1 soundtrack, and they could be a little more lemmingy, but they're fairly nice tunes, and not as bad as I first made out.
tseug
10 Dec 2005 18:42:55
SNES and Genesis have specific tunes attached to the levels (and I think maybe NES). The Genesis music is my favorite out of all the systems I've tried, it sounds completely different. So how many do each of those have?
geoo89
10 Dec 2005 20:02:37
I like the ONML music. About as much as I as the original one.
The original music has much more variety of course, and since there are more tracks, there are more really good tracks, but also some I really can't stand (by name the CanCan & Mountain, I think I heard them far too often and now it is annoying for me (the Genesis versions of these are ok for me however), Doggie, these strange noise sounds really bad, I don't really like Tim5 either), which ONML hasn't.
And yes, I prefer the DOS versions of the ONML tracks...which reminds me to ask: is there a way to extract the adlib samples out of a .dro file? I don't know anything about this format.
10 Dec 2005 23:25:32
And yes, I prefer the DOS versions of the ONML tracks...which reminds me to ask: is there a way to extract the adlib samples out of a .dro file? I don't know anything about this format.

The .dro file just records the raw commands to the sound card (with timing information), so the answer is yes and no--you can, but there isn't any fixed place in the file you can find the samples at.

I should also note that, in case you don't know already, the adlib sound card uses FM synthesis, so technically they aren't really "samples" ("instruments" is the more preferred term for them).
10 Dec 2005 23:35:01
SNES and Genesis have specific tunes attached to the levels (and I think maybe NES). The Genesis music is my favorite out of all the systems I've tried, it sounds completely different. So how many do each of those have?

Not sure why you'd ask, haven't you played thru the Genesis version yourself for example?

Not counting music outside of the levels, both games have the exact same music as the original version:  the 17 "regular" music plus the one unique music for each of the 4 "special" levels.  Although that said, the "Doggie" music is modified enough on both that they don't sound recognizably as "Doggie" on first listen.

P.S.  actually I guess I don't play the Genesis version enough to be sure off top of my head that all the music are there, but they probably are.
10 Dec 2005 23:37:04
SNES and Genesis have specific tunes attached to the levels (and I think maybe NES).

The DOS version is really the only version I know of where the music aren't mapped to specific levels, except for the special graphics levels.
tseug
11 Dec 2005 01:21:06
I noticed a few new ones on SNES and Genesis. It's hard to keep track when they are in a sort of random order.
11 Dec 2005 01:49:45
I noticed a few new ones on SNES and Genesis. It's hard to keep track when they are in a sort of random order.

You're mistaken. I'm quite positive there are no new music in either version, except if you count music outside of levels (eg. ending credits music etc.)  And the ordering, at least for the SNES, is identical to the Amiga ordering (the ordering used by the jukebox).

Incidentally, on the SNES version if you press the select button while on the main menu, you get the other half of the menu where there's a "sound test" option.  In there you can find all the music in the game, both inside and outside of levels.
tseug
11 Dec 2005 04:29:37
The ones I was considering new are actually very different versions of some original music. Tricky 23 and FANL2 are some good examples (those were mainly what I was thinking of).
11 Dec 2005 09:32:09
The ones I was considering new are actually very different versions of some original music. Tricky 23 and FANL2 are some good examples (those were mainly what I was thinking of).

I just checked and they are versions of "Lemming2" (jukebox #4) and "Lemming3" (#10).  I don't find them any more different than how the music differs generally from version to version.  Certainly the difference is far greater with the Genesis and Amiga/DOS versions of Doggie (try Sunsoft 19 for Genesis version of Doggie).