JM
05 Nov 2005 23:19:50
Trick discovered in Custlemm2
I discovered a trick used in a level that seems pretty good. I found this in Custlemm2.

Place a blocker so that when lemmings fall from the edge they get turned around.
Jazzem
05 Nov 2005 23:24:50
Re: Trick discovered in Custlemm2
Good find, but where/when exactly do you place the blocker?
JM
05 Nov 2005 23:27:30
On the edge of the wall then the lemmings falling and unable to touch the ground are forced to turn around. It's quite sneaky  :P
Shvegait
06 Nov 2005 01:13:39
Custlem2 will not contain unique tricks...

This trick is required in one of my levels. I'm sure the trick is fairly well known, if only from some random observations. (That's how most of these behaviors are discovered anyway, right?)
JM
06 Nov 2005 11:04:33
The trick is also used in the original Custlemm.
Shvegait
06 Nov 2005 14:58:30
Of course, JM. And undoubtedly DOS Lemmings and ONML.
JM
06 Nov 2005 18:11:33
I never discovered it in DOS Lemmings or ONML. I only seemed to find this trick in 1 level.
Thanks for pointing it out btw Shvegait
tseug
06 Nov 2005 21:06:33
I've been thinking that I should mention this for a long time now. It appears that the x-coordinate of a blocker field is aligned to multiples of 4, but I'm not completely sure, and I don't know if anything happens to the y-coordinate (ccexplore probably knows already, I just want some confirmation).
Conway
06 Nov 2005 23:26:45
As far as I know, the original Lemmings, ONML, the holiday games, Custlem/2 and Nocdlem/2 all use the same game engine, just with different parameters about which levelpacks to access and slightly different menu screens. The levels should play exactly the same in all (except for the safe fall height in the hacked versions). So any tricks or glitches in one should theoretically exist in the others.
DragonsLover
07 Nov 2005 13:55:58
This is a trick I knew from a long time ago!!! This isn't new for me!

This is not unique to CustLemm, it can be done in any Lemmings game.

The levels should play exactly the same in all (except for the safe fall height in the hacked versions). So any tricks or glitches in one should theoretically exist in the others.

Yep!
ccexplore (not logged in)(Guest)
07 Nov 2005 15:38:07
As far as I know, the original Lemmings, ONML, the holiday games, Custlem/2 and Nocdlem/2 all use the same game engine, just with different parameters about which levelpacks to access and slightly different menu screens. The levels should play exactly the same in all (except for the safe fall height in the hacked versions). So any tricks or glitches in one should theoretically exist in the others.

That is about 99% correct, but isn't quite 100% correct.  For example, doesn't anyone remember the "shrugging walker" glitch I mentioned [u]here[/u]?
Ahribar
07 Nov 2005 18:17:05
Could anyone who's a bit better at explaining things in a sensible number of words than JM explain to me exactly what the glitch you're talking about it?
07 Nov 2005 18:40:11
Sure.  JM discovered that in Lemmings, blockers can turn fallers.

(Note that I had verified this on multiple versions including the Mac, in case you're wondering.)
JM
07 Nov 2005 23:23:30
The trick I found pretty much interested me ;)
Shvegait
07 Nov 2005 23:54:08
If you want to see the trick required, play one of the levels somewhere in the middle of my shveg02.dat pack.

I won't tell exactly which one, but hey, I narrowed it down!
JM
07 Nov 2005 23:56:49
I gussed that trick would be in one of your levels Shvegait  :P
Ahribar
08 Nov 2005 10:35:16
Sure.  JM discovered that in Lemmings, blockers can turn fallers.

(Note that I had verified this on multiple versions including the Mac, in case you're wondering.)

Oh....... I think actually I already knew that.

You know where you put a blocker under a stream of fallers so that they fall past him but he stops them coming back? Well, I *think* I remember seeing that if you slip and put the blocker a little too far forward, so that he does turn the lemmings, he actually turns them while they're falling...... which sounds like an application of the same glitch.
minglw
09 Dec 2005 05:57:46

What/which hack version ?   Where can I get one to try it ?

Thanks!
09 Dec 2005 23:02:17
It turned out CustLemm has a higher safe fall distance compared with Lemmings, so that for example, if you play "We All Fall Down" on CustLemm, you don't need to dig at all.

Since a few people here designed and tested their levels with Lemmings rather than CustLemm, I once made a modified version of CustLemm based on Mike's info to change the falling distance to be same as Lemmings.

Since most levels do assume CustLemm is used, for the most part you don't need the hack version.

There is also an unrelated hack that allows the original game music to be played.  CustLemm currently will play music from a CD, but if you don't put a CD in the CD-ROM drive, you get no music at all.

All these happened months ago but I know Mindless's web pages has them available for download, but I don't remember offhand what the URL is.  Try searching the forum with keywords "custlem2" and/or "nocdlem".