metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 06:42:13
How Does Dos-Box works?
Hi just wondering how does DosBox works? I've just downloaded DosBox-0.63 and installed them but i've got no idea how it works could someone email me how to work on a lemmings game? Thanks
ccexplore (not logged in)
29 Oct 2005 09:50:52
Re: How Does Dos-Box works?
I assume you have work in DOS before.  DOSBox is fairly similar.

Each time you start DOSBox, in the DOSBox command prompt window, first enter the command "mount c c:\", press ENTER.  Then enter the command "c:" and press ENTER.  After this point just use it as you would with a real DOS prompt.  For lemmings for example, you would probably proceed with the commands "cd c:\lemmings" and then "lemmings".
metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 10:05:49
Yeah I did that but it says:

Open Has Failed
Thanks for playing

but when I open the normal without using dosbox it works perfect but there is not a single sound.
metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 10:21:20
Ok here is what i've did:

Z:\>mount d d:\
Drive D is mounted as local directory d:\

Z:\>d:

D:\>Lemmings\Lemmings\LEMMINGS.EXE

then the original file comes up, I've pressed 1-For VGA game then it says:

Open Has Failed:
Thanks for playing Lemmings!
Back to Dos...

My original lemmings location is in here:

D:\Lemmings\Lemmings

Did I miss anything?
Conway
29 Oct 2005 13:47:42
Are you sure you have all the necessary files? Where did you download it from? Here's a stable one: http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmings.php

Also, because I didn't want to have to type the file path each time I use DOSBox, I put it in the context menu of exe and com files. Download the registry file here. It only works if you installed the current version of DOSBox to the default directory.
metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 13:51:43
Yes I downloaded lemmings from this site http://it.travisbsd.org/lemmings/lemmings.php but there is not a single sound. There is a music sign on F3 but once i press play no music, please add me on msn asap pittli@hotmail.com
metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 13:59:08
It only works if you installed the current version of DOSBox to the default directory.

What exactly do you mean by that i've downloaded Dosbox-0.63.

Thanks
Conway
29 Oct 2005 14:01:02
So it runs without sound without DOSBox, and it closes with 'Open Has Failed:
Thanks for playing Lemmings!
Back to Dos...
' with DOSBox? Are you using Windows XP?
metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 14:01:59
Yes I'm using window xp pentium 4, can you give me any screenshot on how it works.
Mindless
29 Oct 2005 14:04:58
D:\>Lemmings\Lemmings\LEMMINGS.EXE

Did I miss anything?

You need to
CD Lemmings\Lemmings
then
LEMMINGS.EXE
since Lemmings expects it's files to be in the current directory.
Conway
29 Oct 2005 14:05:01
It only works if you installed the current version of DOSBox to the default directory.

What exactly do you mean by that i've downloaded Dosbox-0.63.

Thanks

That's the current version, but when installing it, it asks which directory you want to install it to. If you changed the default directory, my reg file won't work. But you can fix it in notepad by changing the file path. If you didn't change the installation directory, it will work.
metalstorm
29 Oct 2005 14:15:47

You need to
CD Lemmings\Lemmings
then
LEMMINGS.EXE
since Lemmings expects it's files to be in the current directory.

Holy Crap it works perfect with the music thanks bro but how do you adjust the frame rate its down a bit once I've pressed full screen. I'm using 15 inch lcd monitor.
DragonsLover
31 Oct 2005 00:28:56
To adjust the size of the screen, you must edit dosbox.conf file and set the height and the width of the screen.

To increase/descrease the speed, press Ctrl + F12 to increase and Ctrl+F11 to decrease.

Read the dosbox manual for more informations!