Jazzem
01 Sep 2005 23:58:55
Help a Lemedit newbie!
Well, I'm pleased to say that I found Lemedit very easy to use and have successfully created a "Challenging" level. It was easy to get to grips with, but now I have a problem.

How do I play the damn thing!?!

It came with CustLemm (That's what you use right?), but it asks me to "Insert disc" whenever I go to the seemingly obvious choice, and it doesn't help that I accidentally jammed a rusty disc in my disc drive before! I apologize if it's obvious/been mentioned before, but none of the previous topic titles seem to suggest they would help me (Although it was a quick skim, so I've probably missed one).

So please help a complete stranger out!
Shvegait
01 Sep 2005 23:01:23
Re: Help a Lemedit newbie!
CustLemm looks for a file called "levelpak.dat". This is the level pack you're currently using. If you don't have a file with this name, just create it by saving your level into a file named  "levelpak.dat". (Or if you put it in another *.dat, rename the file levelpak.dat.)

Recommendation: make a separate folder called "Packs" and put any and all level packs you have in there (with different names). Then when you want to switch packs, delete the levelpak.dat you have in your main CustLemm folder, and copy/paste one of the other packs to this folder. Then, rename it levelpak.dat.

Rest assured that when you delete a levelpak.dat you won't be deleting anything you don't already have in the Packs folder.
JM
01 Sep 2005 23:45:16
Are you able to upload this level because I really want to try it out.
Jazzem
02 Sep 2005 12:44:46
Thanks a bunch shvegait, I really appreciate it, but I have another problem, although I think it's more my PC then the program. When I press F1, the program tells me that the game must be viewed in full screen mode. But see, that's the thing, it does it even if it *is* in full screen mode.

I've got Windows 98 aswell, so I doubt DosBox would help.

EDIT: Here's the level--->http://www.rocketsoft.gm-school.uni.cc/uploads/Tiffany%5C's.zip

I may not have included enough builders, so I apologize if it's impossible :-[. It's very short too, but it's only my first level!
ccexplore (not logged in)
02 Sep 2005 12:57:41
I've got Windows 98 aswell, so I doubt DosBox would help.

Why?  If anything, DosBox should help since it does pretty much a total software emulation of the video subsystem of a DOS PC.  Try it and see what happens.  Or does DosBox not work on Win98?  (Sorry, I only have XP so my help on this is necessarily limited.)
Shvegait
02 Sep 2005 13:38:07
DOSBox does indeed work on Windows 98. But, if your computer is dated to the point that Win98 is the latest OS you can run on it, it would probably run very slowly...
DragonsLover
02 Sep 2005 16:11:50
I have Win98SE as well and CustLemm works perfectly! It's just LemEdit where I don't have enough memory but with Dosbox, it's ok.
JM
04 Sep 2005 18:09:58
The levels good!
Jazzem
05 Sep 2005 19:43:05
Sorry I'm late, but I've taken the advice and downloaded DOSbox. But I don't really understand how to use it. Could someone give me a little help? It'll be much appreciated.

The levels good!

Jazzem
13 Sep 2005 19:47:44
Can anyone help me on this? I have no clue what-so-ever how to work DOSbox (Excuse my computer ignorance), and no matter how many times I load CustLemm, it keeps telling me that it isn't in full screen, even though it just was, and has been converted to a window.

I apologize about bumping, but I desperately want to do this. Creating levels for one of my all time favourite games is too big a request to turn down, and I'd also like to review other levels in the CustLemm topic.
JM
13 Sep 2005 19:51:01
You're free to review levels in the Custlemm topic Jazzem

I'd love to play on your new levels aswell. You could review one of my levelpaks if you wanted to in the Custlemm topic someday. I think Shvegait or Conway know more about Dosbox.
Jazzem
13 Sep 2005 20:01:51
You're free to review levels in the Custlemm topic Jazzem

I'd love to play on your new levels aswell. You could review one of my levelpaks if you wanted to in the Custlemm topic someday. I think Shvegait or Conway know more about Dosbox.

Thank you :D. I'll do so as soon as Custlemm stops refusing to work. Some of the levels certainly look interesting, especially the one that used terrain to spell "Help me out"!

Out of curiosity, was my level too easy? Looking back at it now, it doesn't seem exactly mind blowing...
Shvegait
13 Sep 2005 20:02:48
Here's a DOSBox FAQ:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php?page=FAQ

If you have a specific question that isn't exactly answered there and you still need help, let us know :)
JM
13 Sep 2005 20:07:36
It took me a while to figure out Doxbox then I got the hang of it.
Jazzem
16 Sep 2005 21:13:01
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated, but yet another problem I'm afraid.

http://www.rocketsoft.gm-school.uni.cc/uploads/DosBox%20help.bmp

Can anyone tell me how to stop this happening?

(And DOSbox seems to disable my sound whenever I go onto it, and it stays that way even when I've closed it. Could anyone suggest what I could do?)

All help appreciated as usual.
Shvegait
16 Sep 2005 21:56:11
If you want to run CustLemm, you must also mount your CD-ROM drive. Why? Because that is how CustLemm handles music. It always checkes for the CD-ROM drive whether or not you actually have a CD in it.

"mount d d:\ -t cdrom"

Change the letters to whatever matches your system. The "-t cdrom" part tells DOSBox that the drive is a CD-ROM drive.

Alternatively, you can download ccexplore's nocdlem.exe, which handles music and doesn't require a CD-ROM drive.
Jazzem
16 Sep 2005 23:23:47
It's just one thing after another!

After making my selections on my PC performance, it says that it's loading and tells me to wait, but it doesn't seem to load at all.

Should I run it on a certain PC performance setting?
Shvegait
16 Sep 2005 23:40:12
You MUST use option 1. The others for specific models of computers that aren't supported. (Of course, if you picked something else, you could've tried the other 3 before asking us... :P )
Jazzem
16 Sep 2005 23:47:56
The same still happens :-( I don't need DOS Lemmings or anything, do I?
Shvegait
16 Sep 2005 23:55:47
Oh! Yeah, you need all the graphical, etc. data files (Lemmings and ONML). Hmm, you should be able to download them somewhere. I don't have a link right now, but maybe someone else does.
Jazzem
16 Sep 2005 23:58:31
Oh! Yeah, you need all the graphical, etc. data files (Lemmings and ONML). Hmm, you should be able to download them somewhere.

The Lemedit ones don't work I take it?

I'll have a look around, if anyone knows please tell yours truly.

Thanks for everything shvegait, you've been a great help and you've shown your patience. Three cheers for Shve! :D
Conway
16 Sep 2005 23:10:51
Some of the levels certainly look interesting, especially the one that used terrain to spell "Help me out"!

Thanks!  B) I enjoyed your level too.

JM, I actually know next to nothing about DOSBox. Since DOS programs can be run directly in DOSBox by dragging its icon into that of DOSbox, it can run programs through it with the '%1' protocol, I simply created a context menu extension for applications to open in DOSBox. >Download!< It probably only works with the XP registry though. So I don't actually know how to use DOSBox, I just run stuff through it.

How does nocdlem.exe work, and where can I download it? Does it enable Custlemm to be played in DOSBox?
Shvegait
17 Sep 2005 00:28:09
Hmm. Jazzem, I'm not sure what you mean by the LemEdit ones. Perhaps you got it bundled, but when I downloaded LemEdit/CustLemm the first time, they didn't come with the ground#o.dat, or vgagr#.dat files, and I needed to use the files from Lemmings (and ONML). Their reasoning was that you shouldn't be able to edit the game if you don't own it. Now, no one is really going to care if you download these files...

What files do you have in your directory? It might help to know what you have so we can find out if you're missing something.

Conway: http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1124711479

Maybe you weren't around when ccexplore introduced this. It's neat!
Conway
17 Sep 2005 01:14:49
Cool! It even works in DOSBox.

Thanks Guest, and Shvegait! B)
Shvegait
17 Sep 2005 02:51:57
Does it enable Custlemm to be played in DOSBox?

Oh yeah, I wanted to ask about this. Do you have trouble running CustLemm in DOSBox? It has always worked perfectly fine for me, but the way you worded the question made me curious.
Jazzem
17 Sep 2005 10:46:57
http://usera.imagecave.com/Jazzem/Custlemmdata.bmp.jpg

Apart from nocdlem, the Tiffany's and Yippee files and the levelpak.dat folder that's what I got.

DOSbox tells me that it can't change the directory to nocdlem :-(
Conway
17 Sep 2005 14:39:38
Shveg, most people get this when they try to run Custlemm in DOSBox. http://www.rocketsoft.gm-school.uni.cc/uploads/DosBox%20help.bmp
JM
17 Sep 2005 15:20:17
Ahhh! I seem to get that problem everytime i run Custlemm in DosBox. Instead I run it in XP. Who has a clue why that happens in DoxBox?
Shvegait
17 Sep 2005 15:37:03
Conway and JM, did you not see my first post on page 2? That's not an error, and I even gave an explanation... :-(

Jazzem: levelpak.dat should be a file, not a folder. I'm not sure what you have in that folder, but it needs to be just a single set of levels...

And that is probably your problem, because you don't even have a levelpak.dat file, which CustLemm needs to have any levels at all.
JM
17 Sep 2005 15:47:19
Shvegait I saw it. Also Jazzem if you haven't got a levelpak.dat file send me an e-mail at thetransplants2@hotmail.com and I'll give you a file. I think I have ccexplore's exe file aswell.
Conway
17 Sep 2005 17:37:53
Jazzem, open your level in Lemedit and store it in a levelpack called levelpak.dat.
JM
17 Sep 2005 21:13:47
Good thing to do. I usually store levels in another pack for example if I when I made a level for my 4th pack I stored it in JM04.dat . We all know to do that now. Jazzem's level looks good.
Jazzem
17 Sep 2005 21:49:13
Woop woop! Looks like I don't need DOSBox after all of that, (I got rid of the levelpak.dat folder), and I've fiddled around with that level now (Although it's mainly the starting point and skills I've changed, the rest of the level is practically the same with some minor differences). I'd put it back up, but it's going to be part of my now WIP level pak!

Thanks for the help guys, see you in the Custlemm topic!

(Oh, and how do you get your own music to play on it? I've put MIDI's on a CD and had it in while running Custlemm, but they didn't play. I'm using nocdlem at the moment, but the music's a little tinny.)
Shvegait
17 Sep 2005 23:31:12
It has to be a music CD (i.e. with tracks) not a data CD (with files).
Jazzem
17 Sep 2005 23:39:42
Aha, so no MIDI's? Better go find some Lemmings wave files!

Strange, now that I try it in DOSbox, it lags really badly, even when I press ctrl+F12 dozens of times it shows no sign of speeding up, and frame skipping just makes it too choppy.
Shvegait
17 Sep 2005 23:37:34
What are your computer's specs?
Jazzem
17 Sep 2005 23:48:34
Sorry, the only thing of the like I know is my RAM, which is 250MB (My uncle gave it to me since he was getting a new one, and it didn't come with a box or anything). It is a generally slow computer though, if I ever find my brother's Windows XP disc, I know what I'll do with it!
JM
22 Sep 2005 21:34:17
Is your problem sorted out now?