ccexplore
19 Aug 2005 23:22:38
The Lemmings Re-Title-ing Challenge
This is kinda frivilous, but anyway, I remember that a long time ago, Conway had released 1 or more levelpaks consisting of nothing but selected official Lemmings/ONML levels, minimally revised to becoming more challenging (generally by requiring 100% saved or the like).

Well, by now there are enough new progress on that sort of thing, it makes those paks Conway made look rather quaint.  So I figure maybe I should make some such "challenge packs" of my own, and upload them via Mindless' scripts or something.  I doubt there's much of an audience for it, but again, if the comparatively less interesting levels Conway included in his challenge pak deserves to be in a levelpak at all, then these definitely deserves their own challenge pak as well.

Obviously this requires retitling the levels, preferably to refer to the greater challenge involved in a witty way.  This is where I'd like other people's feedback.

For Lemmings 1, I've already found 9 10 levels definitely worthy of inclusion.  I'm currently planning to fill in the remaining slot with the 100% Cascade, at least until I found something better.  For ONML though, there's the additional task of which levels to include.  I haven't really played through all of them, and of the solutions that I discovered myself, only a few I deemed to be interesting.  This is where you can provide suggestions and feedback if you care.

Titles marked in red are the original titles, meaning I haven't figure out what the revised title should be (and hence where I really need your help).  You can give feedback on the other ones as well.  Remember that in Lemmings, your title must be at most 32 characters long.

Lemmings 1 Challenge Pak:

A Challenge for Bombers&Blockers    (Fun 6, lose only 3, 1 bomber + 3 blockers)
Between the Boundary Lines    (Tricky 23, lose only 1)
A Method Without Compression    (Taxing 6, save 100%)
Mary Poppin's Land    (Taxing 16, 100%)
Sequel to M.C.Escher    (Taxing 18, save 100%, no bashers, modified to prevent direct-drop)
POOR YOU! Good luck on this one.    (Taxing 28, lose only 15)
The Explosion-Proof Boiler    (Mayhem 2, lose only 1, no bombers)
Pillars of Hercules    (Mayhem 10, lose only 3)
The REAL Steel Mines of Kessel    (Mayhem 26, lose only 5, 10 builders instead of 20)
Save 77/80 of Me    (Mayhem 29, lose only 3, water added around starting platform)

-----------

For ONML, levels marked with (**) are definitely for inclusion, levels marked with (*) are possible for inclusion, and unmarked levels mean I don't really care either way.  Again, in addition to the titles, it's still in the air which levels to include or exclude.  And the list is incomplete since I haven't gone through all the levels in ONML:

Getting No Help from Builders    (Tame 14, Save 100%, No Builders)**
Custom Built for Lemmings    (Tame 20, Save 100%, No Builders)**
Quote "That's a Tough Level"    (Crazy 1, Save 98%)*
PANICKING NOW?    (Crazy 19, Save 100%)*
Lemmings Head    (Wild 5, Lose Only 3)
100% Snow Joke!    (Wild 12, Saves 100%)*
Hannibalemmings    (Wild 15, Lose Only 2)**
StOp! YoU mAy NoT pOp!    (Wicked 6, Saves 100%)**
98%???  How On Earth Now?    (Wicked 9, Save 98%)
Save 98% If You Love Me    (Wicked 10, Saves 98%)**
Don't Kill Yourself Over This    (Wicked 12, Saves 98%)**
SPAM,SPAM,SPAM,EGG AND LEMMING (Wicked 15, Lose Only 2)
The Lemmings Funhouse    (Wicked 20, Saves 100%)
Flow Direction Control    (Havoc 10, Lose Only 4)**
THE HIGHLAND CHALLENGE    (Havoc 13, Save 100%)
Have an ice day    (Havoc 15, Save 100%)
Dare to Save 100%?    (Havoc 17, Save 100%)

Thanks again for your help!

[edit:  note the Lemmings 1 list has changed.  Tricky 25 is taken out.  Instead we get a Mayhem 2 challenge.  See the "Challenge" thread for details.]

[edit2:  I've decided my retitling of Tricky 23, to put it mildly, sucks.  So I've throwing it back to the public for suggestions]

[edit3:  I've finally come up with an okay retitling for Tricky 23]

[edit4:  Added the newly discovered 48/50 solution for Wild 15]

[edit5:  Added the newly discovered 100%, no builder solution for Tame 20, but haven't made decision on the renaming.  See posts below.]

[edit6:  Added the 79/80 solution for Wicked 12]
ccexplore
20 Aug 2005 05:20:57
Re: The Lemmings Re-Title-ing Challenge
Just want to mention that, happily, I no longer needed to use "Cascade" as the filler level for the Lemmings 1 challenge pak.  In its place is my new discovery involving a bomberless Mayhem 2.  Yes, 100% Cascade is nice and all, but the Mayhem 2 challenge has more shock value and is certainly less well known.

I've tentatively decided on the name "The Explosion-Proof Boiler" for that one.
JM
20 Aug 2005 09:56:31
This sounds like fun.
Ahribar
21 Aug 2005 09:02:13
OK... I'll throw out a couple of suggestions for the titles. I was going to do both sets but I'm running out of inspiration so I'll just do the Lemmings ones for now.

16 Taxing -- Mary Poppins Comes Back
[referencing the title of one of the Mary Poppins books, you see]
18 Taxing -- Ascending and Descending
[referencing a famous work by M C Escher -- I admit that, though appropriate, perhaps the connection is a bit too obscure to put in the title]
10 Mayhem -- The Next Labour of Hercules

The other Lemmings ones, I like the titles you've got. Not quite so sure about the 28 Taxing one but I can't think of anything better.
tumble_weed
21 Aug 2005 11:39:19
hey Ahribar...nice titles...better than anything I would have come up with

and the original Escher title was obscure to start off with, and your new name is very...descriptive.
ccexplore (not logged in)
21 Aug 2005 23:37:32
Nice titles Ahribar!  Thanks.  B)

(And I think "Ascending and Descending" works well.  Like TW said, it makes up for its obscurity of reference by being very descriptive of the level itself.)
Ahribar
22 Aug 2005 00:21:01
Cool, glad you liked the titles! :D In that case I will have a go at something for the others, though I can't promise to come up with anything good......

5 Wild -- More Lemmings Head for Home
12 Wild -- This one really is snow joke!
15 Wicked -- Less Spam, More Lemmings
20 Wicked -- Welcome Back to the House of Fun
[Note: that uses up all 32 characters, so make sure it's a single-digit level number!]
15 Havoc -- Ice Scream
JM
23 Aug 2005 18:23:50
How's the challenging coming along?
ccexplore
30 Aug 2005 02:38:10
I've added a level to the ONML challenge list, Wild 15, in light of the new discovery of a 48/50 solution.  It is tentatively renamed to be "Hannibalemmings".  It seems the only way to continue the pun from "The Silence of the Lemmings", aside from maybe using the prequel instead.
ccexplore
03 Sep 2005 02:11:48
I've added the 100% no-builder Tame 20 solution to the ONML list.  This is tentatively the renaming:

"100% Custom-Made w/ No Builders"

Though it sounds a bit too long, maybe I'll drop the 100%.  I also had thought about something like "Custom Built for Challenges", with the word "Challenges" possibly replaced by the yet undecided name for the levelpak (possibly "ONMXL", for "Oh no! More Xtreme Lemmings").  The 100% might or might not be prepended there as well.

Anyone has fresher ideas?
Ahribar
03 Sep 2005 02:36:43
I just want to know if you like my suggestions for the other ONML levels.
ccexplore (not logged in)
03 Sep 2005 05:43:31
Sure.  They're usually better than what I could came up with, and no one else have come up with anything better.
ccexplore
08 Sep 2005 21:45:05
Recent activities on the Lemmings Challenge thread suggests that "fewer builders" challenges can be quite interesting, so I'm thinking of creating separate challenge levelpaks for them.

Here's a list of known or potential levels that can make for interesting fewer builder challenges.  Those where I don't specify the changes or have question marks means I haven't got around to trying out the level yet for fewer-builder purposes.  Thus not all levels listed might be possible.  Again, anyone with suggestions on what to rename them will be greatly appreciated.

Note that any levels with no renamings given on this thread will ultimately wound up with names like "Just Dig (Part 2)" or "Save Me Revisited" or something generic like that.

Anyway, the fewer-builders list (subject to change):

Only 2 Builders Here To Help You    (Fun 7, 100% with 2 builders)
Lose Your Hair Over Mr. Lemming    (Fun 11, 100% with no builders, no floaters, no more than 1 digger)
The Impatient Builders Have Left    (Fun 12, 100% with no builders and...?)
To Live and Lem Without Builders    (Fun 21, 100% with no builders and...?)
The Beast Ate All the Builders    (Fun 22, 100% with no builders and...?)
I've lost all the builders    (Fun 23, 100% with no builders and...?)
A Nightmare without Builders    (Fun 26, 100% with no builders)
A Lorra Lemmings but no Builders    (Fun 29)
Keep At It Until It Breaks    (Tricky 9, 100% with no builders)
There's not a lot of builders    (Tricky 10, 100% with 4 builders?)
No builders in the attic    (Tricky 11, 100% with no builders?)
Bitter Lemmings    (Tricky 12, 100% with no builders, no more than 2 climbers)
All But 4 Builders Dropped Out    (Tricky 13, 100% with 4 builders [maybe 3?])
No Builders to Crank the Shaft    (Tricky 30, 100% with no builders)
Few Helping Hands from Builders    (Taxing 4)
12 Izzie Wizzie Builders AWOL    (Taxing 10, 100% with 3 builders?)
Livin' With Fewer Builders    (Taxing 12, 100% with ? builders)
What a Level with fewer builders    (Taxing 15, 100% with ? builders)
Embrace the Heat!    (Taxing 21, 100% with no builders)
How To Get 100% w/ 1 builder?    (Taxing 29, 100% with 1 builder)
The Not-So-Far Side    (Mayhem 12, 100% with 5 builders)
Skipping the Pea Soup    (Mayhem 14, ?% with no builders)
Have a Fewer-Builders Day!    (Mayhem 25, ?% with ? builders)
The Builders Left the Mines    (Mayhem 26, ?% with ? builders)

------------

(ONML)

And now, this builder-less level    (Tame 9, 100% with no builders, no climbers)
Thunder-Lemmings are go!    (Tame 13, 100% with 2 builders?)
Getting No Help From Builders    (Tame 14, 100% with no builders)
Custom built for Lemmings    (Tame 20, 100% with no builders)
Now get out with no builders!    (Havoc 6, 100% with no builders?)
Party At the Rooftop!    (Havoc 11, 100% with 8 builders)

P.S.  One thing I clearly noticed is that it gets very tiresome to see the word "builders" on one too many level names.  I'll need to find other names that is still evocative of the level or what you need to do, without using the word "builders" so much.

[edit:  I found a candidate name, "No Builders to Crank the Shaft", for Tricky 30.  I've also decided that although somewhat tiresome, it's not end of the world that so many levels has the word "builder" in it.]

[edit2:  I found a 1-builder solution for Taxing 21 on the SNES.  I think it'd work on the PC as well.  So I added an entry for that level in the list, tentatively the renaming is "Embrace the Heat!"]

[edit3:  I confirmed on the PC a no-builder solution for Taxing 21, so I've modified the skill requirements accordingly in the list above]

[edit4:  changing the requirements for Mayhem 12 to only 5 builders, which should be the absolute minimum for that level]
JM
08 Sep 2005 21:47:26
I'd like to play on these levels :D
Their names interest me