Jase
28 Jul 2005 23:23:33
Level themes
I have not seen yet a poll for this, maybe it has been done I dunno. But I was wondering cos I ... well, I wonder a lot. Also trying to make a good level pack for Cheapo Lemmings, but I want to know what the people like.

The Olympics set seems to be the most used in Lemmings One. And the Cold hard Crystal set is the least used.

I was thinking of ignoring the Olympics set entirely, because it is BORING! But I'll see what people think first.

My favourite is the Goin' Down To Hell style. The Devil Exit is so cool! I like the SMS version the best. But ugh have you seen the Macintosh version of the Exit? It looks like the Devils horns were cut off, and he acquired buck teeth and specs: it's a Nerdy Devil! UGH!
Isu
28 Jul 2005 23:37:28
Re: Level themes
I chose The Olympics, Big Blue Balls, and Special Graphics themes

My overall favourite the yellow olympics theme (My first lemedit levelpak contains five such levels ). My favourite Oh No! theme is the Balls, (seen a few times in my cheapo packs) I've never been too keen on Oh No! More Lemmings though. And the special graphics themes are always interesting.
Oh, and you forgot the snow graphics in your poll
Conway
29 Jul 2005 00:01:23
You missed out Oh No! Snow!
Ahribar
29 Jul 2005 00:46:23
I chose Hell, Pink and Balls. I love these three because they have the perfect mixture of straight and rocky pieces; Dirt, Rock and Snow don't have enough straight pieces, while Brick has too many. (However, I try to use the styles more or less evenly in my levels, and some of my favourite levels do use the styles I don't like so much -- my best level yet, Zorn's Lemming, uses Brick, for instance.)

The Hell set is the most used in the PC Lemmings game. In the Mac version, because 21 Tricky is "Going Their Separate Ways" instead of "All the Sixes", the Hell and Pink sets come first equal. No Lemmings style, however, is used nearly as much as Brick in ONML, in spite of the fact that ONML has twenty fewer levels.

On a side note, it's interesting to see the different names people come up with for the styles. The style from "Only floaters can survive this" is often called Columns, Sand or Roman, but I've never heard it called Olympic before. I can't really see the connection, unless it's the "Olympic Rings" seen in the level "Like an overflowing wave"......
29 Jul 2005 00:47:45
The Olympics??? :???:  I'm sorry, that is the most non-sensical name ever for the "columns" graphics set.  Nothing in it whatsoever suggests "Olympics" or even "sports" to me.  O_o
29 Jul 2005 00:55:55
I think I find myself liking "Bricks" the most, visually speaking.  Other than that I don't think I have a clear preference, though of course the special graphics are neat too.

I think generally the ONML graphics are, color-wise, more varied and somewhat brighter, while the original Lemmings graphics tend to be more subdued/subtle, with some graphics sets based almostly entirely on a single color type for the terrain.  I generally like the ONML-style graphics a little better, but I can see other people feel otherwise.
tumble_weed
29 Jul 2005 13:06:15
HAHA I love the names you gave them! But definitely "Goin' down to Hell" and "Cold hard crystals" would be my favourites...

You missed out Oh No! Snow!

and "Merry Christmas, Mr Lemming" (although they are pretty similar...)
Jase
30 Jul 2005 08:14:00
Poll Change
changed the poll. results are screwy cos theres a vote in the wrong place. doesnt matter cos its MY poll hehehe

and its interesting (at the time of post) that Going down to Hell is most popular. its my fave too! :D except the mac version of course

and its called "olympics" cos the style remins me of sparta for some reason, which links to greece, which is where the olympics was held... if my history is wrong DONT COMMENT! lets live in a fantasy bubble for a while

ciao

and someone know why the mac devil head looks so dumb? TELL ME! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!  >:(
30 Jul 2005 19:50:08
Alright, I think you're getting a little too hyper over there.   O_o  :-/

You might as well just delete the poll.  The discussion is more interesting than a poll that you're going to keep changing because "the votes look screwy".  ;P
Insane Steve
30 Jul 2005 20:35:35
I vote (in order of preference) Bricks, Pink, and Hell. That order.

The Brick style is the perfect style for my design process. All kinds of straight angle pieces, Yet enough variety to still make the level aesthetically pleasing.

The Pink style is probably the most versatile style for design, with the most different kind of pieces. It has large pillars, small stones, flat walls, and even bumpy pieces I never use.

The Hell style is in the same vein as the Pink style, although the thing putting the Pink style ahead of this one is that the Hell style has no "non-constant" traps. That is, there's no traps that only kill one lemming if a tightly packed group runs into it. The Pink style has the compressor thing, but the Hell style only has "constant" fire traps.
Jase
31 Jul 2005 02:38:23
Don't tell me what to do!
To guest..

SHUT UP ! It's my poll! Hehe just messin'

The discussion is good, but it still only compliments the poll. I made this for the poll, not the chat. But the chat is interesting.
Shvegait
31 Jul 2005 12:23:21
I have not seen yet a poll for this, maybe it has been done I dunno.

http://eng-forum.lemmingswelt.de/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=news;action=display;num=1092444469

(It was on page 4, but still...)
geoo89
31 Jul 2005 15:56:46
Bricks, Columns, Pink.

Bricks are my absolute favourite 'cause all pieces are straight.
I simply can work better that way.

Columns (I use to call it "Classic style", cause in L2 on the map for tribe "classic" there's a lot of terrain of the colums style) and Pink similar reason, and the colour is quite nice.

In cheapo, I don't like the columns style so much, and the pink style even less.
But there is another style I really like as nice substitute.

The special levels are really interesting, but I think if I'd get to see lots of those, I'd think a little different.
It was the same case with the crystal style: when I played the original levels, I really looked forward to those levels, now there are much more of this style, and I don't like it as much as I did at the beginning.
DragonsLover
02 Aug 2005 01:29:24
Hell, Pink and Bricks. These are the ones that I enjoy the most! :D
JasonXV
02 Aug 2005 03:53:11
Aww sorry
Heh sorry Shvegait for making a duplicate thingy.
Keep those comments coming!

By the by, has anyone made the Original Graphics sets for Cheapo? I notice Cheapo has got the Original "Diggin' through Dirt" style in there somewhere. But the other styles aren't there.

No offence at all to the Cheapo styles, but they're a TAD dark. And the Cheapo Dirt style reminds me of A BEAST of a Level! style. That has to be the most boring graphics set after Pink <I prefer the SMS version, which is actually grey, not Pink>.
Ahribar
02 Aug 2005 07:31:46
By the by, has anyone made the Original Graphics sets for Cheapo? I notice Cheapo has got the Original "Diggin' through Dirt" style in there somewhere. But the other styles aren't there.

Yes, I have. All five original styles plus the extended graphics (Tricky 14, Taxing 15, Mayhem 22). And as a bonus, the Yellow Dirt style from the Genesis/Megadrive version.

They're not quite ready for release yet -- but you can download pre-release versions of the Pink style at http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Twenty.zip and the Blue style at http://www.geocities.com/zarathustra47/Collaboration.zip . If you're really desperate, I guess I could let you have the others..... though I hadn't planned to give them to anyone until they were ready for full release......

The Hell style is in the same vein as the Pink style, although the thing putting the Pink style ahead of this one is that the Hell style has no "non-constant" traps.

Ah, but I'm adding a few traps of my own devising to my styles. There will be a "kill one lemming" trap in the Hell style.
JasonXV
05 Aug 2005 00:23:10
Wow! You totally stormed this poll! Can you storm
COOLIES!

On another note, does anyone have any of the following done for Cheapo Lemmings?

SMS - All the themes, complete
SNES - Pink mainly, cos the colour is not as pink, but sorta blander
SPECIAL - A BEAST of a level, MENACE!, What an AWESOME level!, A BEAST II of a level
Ahribar
05 Aug 2005 01:14:23
Adam remade the SMS styles; I don't know if he still has them. I have them on my computer at home, if you're OK about waiting a couple of months.

I've sent you my Extended style, which contains the Menacing, Awesome and BeastII graphics. I left Beast out, because the level is pretty much impossible to divide into separate bits, and it would be far too much work to redraw the tops of all the trees that go off screen -- just one on the BeastII style was hard enough!
the guest
05 Aug 2005 01:21:02
Re:
On another note, does anyone have any of the following done for Cheapo Lemmings?

SMS - All the themes, complete

I remember Adam mentioned working on it a long while ago.  Don't remember if it is ever completed or released.

SNES - Pink mainly, cos the colour is not as pink, but sorta blander

Wow, picky one here, aren't you?  ;P  (I personally didn't remember that difference, but that's just me I guess)

I suppose if you're really desperate, maybe you can beg Ahribar to make a modifed version of his Pink Style that mutes the colors accordingly, assuming he has a decent enough graphics editing program that supports color adjustments (Photoshop for example).  Though honestly I think half the people on the planet would wonder why there are 2 "identical" versions of the same style if he did this.

SPECIAL - A BEAST of a level, MENACE!, What an AWESOME level!, A BEAST II of a level

I think Ahribar has planned to cover this.  Unfortunately, not the first BEAST though, because if I remember correctly, he said the trees are too clumped together to separate out, so you might as well just screen capture the entire level's terrain and paste it in your own level, which kinda defeats the purpose of styles in general.
the guest
05 Aug 2005 01:22:40
whoops, posted at same time, except 5 minutes apart because I'm just that much wordier.  ;P
Ahribar
05 Aug 2005 01:27:49
Yes.... my girlfriend has Photoshop, so I could make the SNES Pink style, if I could find a good level image to work from. (The SNES images on Planet Lemmings, annoying, don't seem to like being opened in a separate window.)

As for "two identical versions of the same style", I already did two dirt styles -- but then, the Genesis dirt style really does have a completely different look and feel to the regular one, I think it was worth it.
the guest
05 Aug 2005 02:30:20
Yes.... my girlfriend has Photoshop, so I could make the SNES Pink style, if I could find a good level image to work from. (The SNES images on Planet Lemmings, annoying, don't seem to like being opened in a separate window.)

You can still right-click on them to get a URL.  Turns out to be of the form:

http://www.deveria.com/alexis/lemmings/lemmings/snes/sun05.png

Note that only the SNES Sunsoft levels have unique pictures; the ones for the other ratings are the same pics used for the Amiga/PC/Mac/(etc.) pages.  I also cannot actually vouch that the pics there are really from the SNES as opposed to the Genesis or something, but maybe you can tell.
Ahribar
05 Aug 2005 02:37:17
Thanks; I got there in the end though. And indeed the graphics and objects for the SNES Pink style are ready now; but I'd need to work on the standards and images before I was ready to release it as a style.

The SNES Sunsoft images are definitely not from the Genesis/Megadrive version; the Genesis pink style looks pretty much the same as the Amiga/Mac one (i.e. pink), not brown as it does on the SNES. So I'd say those are probably authentic images. :D
JasonXV
05 Aug 2005 04:31:05
wow cool i made a themes request line now O.o
JM
05 Aug 2005 20:49:13
My favourite kind of levels are the pink graphics,red brick graphics and the crystal graphics.
Isu
06 Aug 2005 16:46:29
Then you are not going to like my first pack...
JasonXV
06 Aug 2005 22:53:38
why is that
Isu
06 Aug 2005 23:33:33
I was talking to JM, I meant that there are no levels that use those styles he mentioned in my first Lemedit pack.
JasonXV
06 Aug 2005 23:58:05
i know you were talking to JM, i wondered.

and now i laughed.

:P

JasonXV
Jazzem
09 Aug 2005 21:07:41
I'm not really sure to be honest, I like a variety myself, and I do not dislike any of them, although I feel the hell one is a little overused. If I had to choose though, it would be either the fossil or the olympics one.