23 Jul 2005 03:15:22
no water in PC/DOS Mayhem 29???
I was looking at the DOS version of Mayhem 29 today when I noticed that, unlike the screenshot in the "Lemmings Solution" website, my PC/DOS version of Mayhem 29 does not appear to have water in it!

I was quite surprised and I'm almost sure that I remembered the water should be there.  But I also checked the timestamps of the levelXXX.dat files and they all bears the 1991 date, so it doesn't look like I've accidentally altered the level either.

Can someone else check whether their copy of PC/DOS Lemmings indeed has the water missing in Mayhem 29?  Thanks.  Incidentally, if your copy does have the water in it, I wouldn't mind if you send me your copies of the levelXXX.dat files to guestlevels@yahoo.com.
Shvegait
23 Jul 2005 03:51:30
Re: no water in PC/DOS Mayhem 29???
The original DOS version doesn't have water. I think the Windows Lemmings version does, though? There are a lot of levels like this, where they added water/acid/lava for effect in the Windows version. The pictures from "The Lemmings Solution" come from that version.
23 Jul 2005 04:34:42
Well actually, I just checked and both the SNES and Amiga versions also have the water in Mayhem 29, so it's more likely that they took it out in the DOS version due to some technical reason.

Thanks for verifying though, good to know my copies of the DOS levelXXX.dat files haven't been corrupted or anything.
geoo89
23 Jul 2005 09:04:22
The original DOS version doesn't have water. I think the Windows Lemmings version does, though? There are a lot of levels like this, where they added water/acid/lava for effect in the Windows version. The pictures from "The Lemmings Solution" come from that version.
The windows version (at least mine) doesn't have water in Mayhem 29 either.
LemSteven
23 Jul 2005 23:01:16
My PC/DOS version of Lemmings does not have water on Mayhem 29, either.  I actually take advantage of that in my 96% solution on that level.
DragonsLover
25 Jul 2005 04:04:12
I knew this from a long time ago! A lot of levels are missing water or fire in some levels. Here are all levels in Fun rating where water is missing in Dos/Windows version:

- Fun 4: Now use miners and climbers: No acid.
- Fun 6: A task for blockers and bombers: No lava.
- Fun 8: Not as complicated as it looks: No water.
- Fun 9: As long as you try your best: No acid.
- Fun 10: Smile if you love lemmings: No water.
- Fun 13: We all fall downm: No lava.
- Fun 16: Don't do anything too hasty: No lava.
- Fun 20: We are now at LEMCON ONE: No acid.
Also, for this level on the Atari ST version, there's blue water in pipes at the left of the level, it's the color of the acid when invisible (the acid is red and yellow under Dos, so I think it is why it is removed...)
- Fun 21: You Live and Lem: Some water aren't there.
- Fun 26: Nightmare on Lem street: No water.
- Fun 27: Let's be careful out there: No acid.
- Fun 28: If only they could fly: Oh, there's something interesting here, 2 steel blocks are added and some lava aren't there. In fact, these new steel blocks reduced the size of the lava lakes in both side of the level.
- Fun 30: Lock up your Lemmings: No lava.
- And so on for some levels in other ratings.

It isn't difficult to correct, just edit the levels.

I guess that the reason why some water weren't there is because of the memory. If a lot of objects are put in a level, some objects don't work, don't operate. I guess that you all already get this problem when an exit didn't work on CustLemm.
Isu
25 Jul 2005 05:49:55
Also, for this level on the Atari ST version, there's blue water in pipes at the left of the level, it's the color of the acid when invisible (the acid is red and yellow under Dos, so I think it is why it is removed...)

That also applies to the Amiga version (Well the version on my A500 anyway).
JM
25 Jul 2005 13:58:49
I played on Mayhem 29 in PC/DOS and it contained no water.