xD
Conway
15 May 2005 20:14:57
Re: May the Farm Be With You...
LOL!  X_X
Timballisto
16 May 2005 19:44:57
A promo and a comedy at the same time.  Sweet.

Lol.

Only, I think genetic engineering is just fine.
Conway
16 May 2005 20:07:30
I've never understood what the fuss is either, as long as it's not harmful.
Andi
16 May 2005 20:49:06
Comes up how you use it. You can use a knife to cut your food or to kill someone.
Special_Gunpowder
16 May 2005 22:43:01
Or if you're a cannibal, use the knife to kill someone and then cut your food.
Andi
16 May 2005 23:02:11
xD

There you see how many ways there are to use things. It's the same with genetical manipulated food. Will it be help or hell?
Timballisto
17 May 2005 00:53:16
xD

There you see how many ways there are to use things. It's the same with genetical manipulated food. Will it be help or hell?

That depends...Theoretically someone could genetically alter the food to be that way, but I doubt that's going to happen, atleast not before I die.  Maybe...maybe not.  I see no reason for someone to do that unless they are an extremist.  Also, if one person does that, then chances seem that they are definitely not going to hit the majority of the crops grown in the US or in other nations.  They would have to have a farming monopoly.

On the other hand Andi your claim is perfectly correct.  Someone could use this stuff against people.  It's the same as someone using a hammer to kill someone instead of drive in a nail, like you said earlier.

We can only tell what's going to happen if we wait.  So far it seems to have been for the good.

Darn.  I just realized that we may have just given someone an evil plan  X|.
Andi
17 May 2005 14:50:09
Nah. The people who are against genetical manipulated food use the idea of an evil doctor trying to kill the world since they exist.
I personally think it might be a good idea. I heard of a country (can't remember the name. It was an India-like country. So a lot of poverty. Or was it India at all?) where the people eat nothing but rice. And they are thinking of manipulating the rice that way, it has a vitamin or whatever the rice naturally don't have and so the people have too less of it. That was a long time ago. I dunno if they already did it or if they canceled it.
Whatever, there's a very big problem: If we manipulate it, will it have the result we wish? We don't know what the food will do with us. It can kill us right now or in fifty years or never.
Timballisto
19 May 2005 21:36:48
There are a lot of weird controversial issues such as this.  Some people claim that genetic engineering is wrong because it's like playing God.  Personally, I don't really believe this.  If there was something he didn't want us to discover and change, I doubt he would let us.  An example of something: The soul.  We can't really manipulate that.  Not only that, but we can't ever really say we're playing God because we can never be equal to him.  To say by using genetic engineering you're playing God, someone is saying that you have the ability to equal God.  Well...that's what I think anyway.

Hopefully a million guests don't jump on this post and convert it to a religious argument...
Andi
20 May 2005 10:41:26
In that case I would close this thread or delete the posts.

Anyway, I don't think this is playing god. I think this is discovering the science of genetics. When we know how it works, it will be easier to heal illness. But the more illness we heal, the more people will survive and the more crowded up will be the planet. So guess we have to hurry up with travelling into space. And for this we may need the genetical science to create plants that make planets usable for colonisation.
Timballisto
21 May 2005 01:44:04
...Interesting...you know, you're probably right...
AstralLemming
22 May 2005 20:00:44
<highly random>Hmmm... I wonder if it's possible to use genetic modification to create lemmings(as in green haired ones) in real life? That's a thought.<highly random>
Andi
22 May 2005 22:49:43
Theoretically, maybe. Practically? No idea.
23 May 2005 02:03:28
<highly random>Hmmm... I wonder if it's possible to use genetic modification to create lemmings(as in green haired ones) in real life? That's a thought.<highly random>

LOL  :D

Does real lemmings even have hair?  (If so, dye them green, paint the body blue and white, and voila! :P If not, put a wig on it first.  :P)

Sometimes low-tech works just as well as hi-tech.  ;P
Andi
24 May 2005 20:16:50
Does real lemmings even have hair?

I'm not sure, but animals living in the tundra usually have hair. Would be cold, wouldn't it?
27 Jul 2005 19:02:42

I just recently discovered that apparently Lemmings in the games don't have mouths!

So that sorta rules out any real-life animals that would look like Lemmings.  Sure, they can be done, but without a mouth it would be tricky for them to eat anything, you know.  And if they can't eat, they'd be long dead before they grew to adult size.

In any case, breeding an animal that would naturally starve to death is something too cruel for me to contemplate......
Andi
28 Jul 2005 13:07:38
I can bet I once saw a pic with a lemming with a small hint of a mouth.