Mike
16 Jan 2005 23:10:02
Reading Amiga disks
Whats the best way to read a disk into a format that an emulator can read?

Ive tried ADF and DMS, but both fail to read my "non-standard" but other wise "unprotected" disk.

Any ideas?
DragonsLover
17 Jan 2005 17:49:46
Re: Reading Amiga disks
I don't know!

Look at here for Amiga emulators:

Google
Mike
17 Jan 2005 19:36:27
Ive been through all that and got some Amiga programs to read disk into ADF and DMS format, but they fail to read the disks I want...  

I just wondered if there was a better trackdisk reader that Ive missed.. otherwise I wont be able to get m,y Lemmings 1 editor disk on the PC :(
Streetlight Admnistrator
18 Jan 2005 03:36:35
Maybe if you get an old Amiga, load it onto the hard drive(if Amiga even has one), then manually copy the files to another disk?
Mike
18 Jan 2005 09:34:54
afriad not... its a custom format "DMADos" to be more precise...

I might be able to extract files (save levels, code etc.), but I couldn't run the editor because I dont have the source to be able to remove DMADos from it... which is a bugger...

And I dont have the time to "hack" it out...

:(
SyNTaX
22 Mar 2005 15:15:55
WinUAE, the best.
It will require a Kickstart file tho, which is actually sold be someone owning the original Amiga rights, but is probably illegally downloadable somewhere.
Mike
22 Mar 2005 22:46:48
Its not getting it into an emulator, but getting it from the real amiga disk to begin with...

You can actually buy the workbench roms as part of an emulator pack from cloanto here:

http://www.amigaforever.com/

Which means you can be "legal" and still enjoy Amiga emulation  B)
SyNTaX
23 Mar 2005 07:33:53
Oh you mean like amiga disk-> PC? You need an amiga, some software on the PC and a null modem cable.
Mike
23 Mar 2005 13:55:16
I have all that.... problem isn't getting it onto the PC, its reading the actual disk. Its a custom (but unprotected) format, and nothing seems to be able to read it.

I really just want to get it into an ADF or DMS format, but nothing seems to read DMADos...  :(

BTW... compact flash and a PCMCIA adaptor is much easier ;)
Mindless
17 Jun 2005 15:04:19
apparently, if you contact CAPS (contributions@caps-project.org) i think they'll give you software to dump the disk. then you have to send the dump to them, and they will analyze it and send you an IPF, which can be used in WinUAE

i don't know if you want to make it available to all those people though
Mindless
25 Jun 2005 13:52:42
--- bump ---

so, Mike... not sure you saw my reply, but i'd really like to see the original level designer app... so, is my previous reply an option?