piainp2
14 Nov 2004 14:30:18
Dosbox lemmings problem
I want to play DOS lemmings so I downloaded DOSBox-0.62 but every time i try to run the game is closes, saying that it couldn't find MSCDEX. I can't find a way around it.
HLem
27 Nov 2004 11:21:08
Re: Dosbox lemmings problem
Hi,

downloaded DOSBOX 0.63 yesterday. Running it under Windows ME does work well. Maybe the update will help.
Mad_Max
03 Dec 2004 15:10:19
Did you mounted your CDROM drive in Dosbox before you've started the game? If not, you should try it now.

The steps required to mount your CD drive are listed in the Dosbox's readme, and here they are just to save time. :)

To mount your cdrom in DOSBox you have to specify some additional options
  when mounting the cdrom.
  To enable the most basic cdrom support:
    - mount d f:\ -t cdrom
  To enable low-level SDL-support:
    - mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0
  To enable low-level ioctl-support(win2k/xp/linux):
    - mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -ioctl
  To enable low-level aspi-support (win98 with aspi-layer installed):
    - mount d f:\ -t cdrom -usecd 0 -apsi

In the commands: - d    driveletter you in DOSBox
                   - f:\ location of cdrom on your PC.
                   - 0   The number of the cdrom drive, reported by mount -cd
Shvegait
03 Dec 2004 15:20:31
Yes, I had the same problem. I was curious why you needed to mount your CD-ROM drive to play CustLemm...

I'm having a different kind of problem trying to play ONML under DOSBox. It gives an error message saying "Please insert Oh No! More Lemmings disk". When I run ONML from XP, it runs without this error (but with no sound/music).
piainp2
05 Dec 2004 13:00:26
I must have mounted something because now i can ONLY run dos programs in DOSbox. if i try to run one in XP an error:
'C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt' comes up. it says that the system file isn't suitable for running MS-DOS applications.

Grrrrrr! >:(

I might try that update....
Damien T
28 Dec 2004 04:41:59
Hi, i am totally new to this DosBox thing. i got the latest one 0.69 or something. i get "C:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt' comes up. it says that the system file isn't suitable for running MS-DOS applications"  i dont know how to use DosBox so if you could go through it step by step that would be awesome.  The mounting instructions u have above i tried but it kept saying  F drive doesnt exist or something. im running Windows XP  -  please help!
DragonsLover
28 Dec 2004 05:21:50
0.69??? O_O

The latest version of Dosbox is 0.63!

I don't know the problem about Lemmings, everything works correctly for me!

Shvegait, I have the same problem. I try to play the game using another vgalemmi.exe and another main.dat files.

piainp2, some old games and dos games aren't supported on Windows XP. You must use Dosbox to play them.

You can go on the website of Dosbox for more help: Here

Here's an example for the command Mount:
mount [any letter] [the access line]

So, type:
mount d d:\Games\Lemmings\
d:
lemmings.exe

The game should work!
Shvegait
28 Dec 2004 17:07:02
DragonsLover, by the way, I managed to play ONML under regular XP without the error (though sacrificing the sound).
DragonsLover
28 Dec 2004 20:50:52
Shvegait, that way, try to run the game using the Windows 95 compatibility. And see if it works.

I don't have Windows XP myself, but I'm sure that there's somewhere, a place to set the compatibility of programs.
Shvegait
29 Dec 2004 04:37:38
I'm confused about what you're saying. It worked just fine! I got through all the levels except the very last one.
DragonsLover
30 Dec 2004 22:38:01
Oh... ok! :-[
Mr. Ksoft
02 Jan 2005 21:22:09
I know a solution to the AUTOEXEC.NT problem!

Go to X:\WINDOWS\REPAIR (Replace X with your hard drive letter) and copy AUTOEXEC.NT to X:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32.
ISU
09 Apr 2005 09:30:29
Hey, it works.

Thanks Ksoft!
Steaver370
25 Apr 2005 12:55:21
The reason CustLemm needs a CD drive is because it attempts to play CD music as background music in the levels. There is a track pattern.
Isu
25 Apr 2005 14:53:18
Are you saying that if I put an audio CD in my CD drive and run custlemm the music that plays will be that thats on the audio CD?
DragonsLover
29 Apr 2005 21:39:29
I tried and YES!!! When the level starts, the music on the CD is playing during the level! Isn't that cool? B)

EDIT: Only these tracks are playing for each level, then it loops and get back to the first one, in order:

9 - 10 - 11 - 13 - 14 - 7

Watch out not to set the volume of your CD player to maximum or else you won't hear any sound effects.